Distributor.

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Rob

Distributor.

Post by Rob »

Keeping in line with "old school" and "cheap" I found a factory Auto Lite dual point distributor for my Hemi. I already had the one that came with it and it is in buildable condition, but it has no provision for vacuum advance. Since mine is going to be a relatively mild build and be 100% street driven, I needed to find a unit with a vacuum can. It is in pretty good condition. The bushings are great and the shaft is still like new. I freed up the breaker plate, removed the large spring lubed it all up good and reassembled it. The points are still good! I found an NOS vacuum advance and got it, but it was bad. So I think I am going to send the original out for a rebuild. I cannot find them anywhere. I will post a pic or two of it in the mornin. Kinda tired right now, but I wanted to come tell yall I am still makin progress, however slow.
392heminut

Re: Distributor.

Post by 392heminut »

Rob, it may not be 'old school' but the most economical ignition setup I've found (and reliable too) is an electronic distributor from an LA engine and the Hot Heads adapter for it. The adapter is $16 and you can get the distributor and wiring harness plug from a salvage yard and you can find the ignition box at any car parts store. If you want to keep it looking old school you can extend the wires going to the distributor and hide the ignition box, that way you only show two wires going to the distributor. Just a suggestion. :)
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

I reccomend the LA dist. also.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I appreciate the input, but I am going to use the dual point. They have been around and worked well close to 100 years. Properly set up and adjusted, with a good hot coil, they will rival an electronic in most instances with the exception of very high RPM which I have no intention of doing. I am extremely familiar with point type ignitions as I grew up down the street from a renowned British car mechanic and racer in our area, George Yetter. Mr. Yetter taught me a lot about cars and I have always had a deep respect for doing things differently...and old school. Even if I don't find a good vacuum canister, I will simply use the mechanical advance dual point unit that came with the engine. I just wanted a vacuum canister for the part throttle mileage improvement, but I can come fairly close I suspect without one if I have to.
George

Post by George »

Rob wrote:I appreciate the input, but I am going to use the dual point. They have been around and worked well close to 100 years. Properly set up and adjusted, with a good hot coil, they will rival an electronic in most instances with the exception of very high RPM which I have no intention of doing. I am extremely familiar with point type ignitions as I grew up down the street from a renowned British car mechanic and racer in our area, George Yetter. Mr. Yetter taught me a lot about cars and I have always had a deep respect for doing things differently...and old school. Even if I don't find a good vacuum canister, I will simply use the mechanical advance dual point unit that came with the engine. I just wanted a vacuum canister for the part throttle mileage improvement, but I can come fairly close I suspect without one if I have to.
If he can keep the electrics running on a British car, yours will be a snap! :D I've seen rebuilt vac adv assymblys somewhere, or rebuild yours type of thing. Where was it? Might cover the hemis...Roberts Motor Parts, Bernbaum..hmmmm Kantors, crap CRS.
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

Rob,

The vacuum advance thingy-magigies come up on Ebay all the time. I've seen them go for as little as $12.
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

I would bet either of these will work. You just need to use the spring from your old vacuum advance so it's curved right. Keep your eyes pealed. These things are more common than you think:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/57-DODGE ... ccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NORS-VAC ... ccessories

David
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
DavidBraley

Post by DavidBraley »

You know what, I just read your first post, and now I'm thinking I misunderstood what you where saying. Sorry about that. I was under the impression that you did find a distributor, but the vacuum can was bad. If that's not the case, then (to the sound of Gilda Radner),

NEVER MIND! :lol:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/2364/saturday ... lins-on-tv
Rob

Post by Rob »

Naw, that's right. I found a vacuum distributor but the can is bad. I found an NOS can on Ebay....and IT was bad. That second one you linked to will work and I have emailed the seller and he says it holds vacuum, so that's gonna be it. Thanks.