52 331 question

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

roughrdr

52 331 question

Post by roughrdr »

according to HotRods&Hemis this motor ( 52-8-39700 ) is a 52 Chrysler 331, even though the numbers don't quite match....My question is since this has the extended block, which, if any, adapter do I need to put a ChryCo manual (don't really like autos) behind this....The Fluid-Drive (Gyro-Matic) behind it right now has been sitting for over 45 years and I know nil about them....I have several of these types of blocks, and hate to see them sit, and they run for the moment....
centerline

Post by centerline »

I'm not aware of a modern adaptor for the extended block hemi to Chrysler 4 speed although someone out there probably is working on one. There are adaptors available for the non-extended block Chrysler hemi (1954 and later) to MOPAR manual but they won't do you any good. However a very nice adaptor for your motor to the Chevy 4 speed is available from PowerPlayHemi.com for $325. Here's the link: (http://www.hothemiheads.com/transadapte ... 53chrysler).

The last four digits in the ID number won't match it's the letter and first two numbers really that identify the year. (C52-8 ID's as a Chrysler 1952-8 cylinder). The remaining numbers are manufacturing serial numbers and will be different on every block.