NEW MEMBER / OLD HEMI

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

CTHEUSA

NEW MEMBER / OLD HEMI

Post by CTHEUSA »

HELLO EVERY-ONE! NEW TO THIS FORUM AND I AM SURE I WILL HAVE PLENTY OF QUESTIONS AS TIME GOES ON. I HAVE BEEN BUILDING AND RACING CHEVYS FOR SOME 40 YEARS. JUST BOUGHT MY FIRST HEMI IN A HOT ROD ROADSTER STYLE RIDE. THE ENGINE IS A 354 CHRYSLER OUT OF A 1956 NEW YORKER. ENGINE IS THE NE56 WITH A 871 BLOWER AND TWO 750'S SITTING ON TOP. FORGED PISTONS 6 OR 7 TO 1 WITH ALUMINIUM MICKEY THOMPSON RODS. 4 BOLT/SPLAYED MAIN CAPS, AND SOME WILD CAM THAT WORKS WELL ON THE STREET. 727 3 SPEED TO GET THE POWER DOWN WITH A 9 INCH FORD OUT BACK, NOT SURE OF THE GEAR YET. I BOUGHT THIS ROADSTER "AS IS" AND HAVE SEEN IT RUNNING WELL OVER THE YEARS. OWNER HAS FAILING HEALTH AND HAS TO GET RID OF HIS TOYS...
WAS A DRY SUMP, CONVERTING BACK WET SUMP (ONLY WILL BE USED ON THE STREET CAR SHOW ETC..)
ENGINE HAS NO THERMOSTATS JUST RESTRICTED WATER FLOW OUT OF EACH HEAD TO RAD. HOLE SIZE???
WATER PUMP IS REMOTE DRIVEN OFF THE CRANK.
GOING TO INSTALL 16 INCH ELECTRIC FAN BEHIND ALUM RAD.(RON DAVIS RAD)
NEED SOME IDEAS ON THE COOLING. HOW TO GET WATER OUT OF HEADS TO RAD WITH 2, 1.5 INCH INLETS LEFT AND RIGHT.
THERE ARE NO BREATHERS IN THE VALVE CVRS. ONLY A 1.5 INCH VENT FROM WHERE THE FUEL PUMP WAS MOUNTED. OK?

OPEN TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS BRUCE. :)
George

Re: NEW MEMBER / OLD HEMI

Post by George »

Hot Heads sells remote thermostats for that situation. www.hothemiheads.com crankcase breathing: Is the inlet in the oil cap still being used for letting air in? Depending on how the breather you have was done, you may be able to run a PCV valve in it & run a line up to the carb, or replace/mod the breather to where you can get one in it. Or...block that off & run a PCV valve from a valve cover, rear corner being best.
George

Post by George »

Forgot..welcome to the world of Hemis, & we're here to help you on your journey from The Dark Side! :D
George

Post by George »

Where's the oil fill?
CTHEUSA

Re: Hemi Issues..

Post by CTHEUSA »

The old spot the fuel pump was mounted on has a 1.5 inch stainless tube running straight up about 6 inches. This is an oil fill and vent for the crankcase. there is a small K&N on top for venting.
I am thinking about an electric water pump, clean looking and easy fit behind blower belt.
What do you have with hemi engines George? B-
George

Post by George »

'48 & '60 Plyms with 331s
George

Post by George »

If you have a filtered air inlet up top you should rig up a PCV valve in the tube, unless it's so low, close to the oil that it'd suck oil. If so use that for the inlet & put the PCV up top.