Need Advice On 331 rebuild

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Bryan Carr

Need Advice On 331 rebuild

Post by Bryan Carr »

I am contemplating a rebuild on a 331 Chrysler Hemi (C52....). Can anyone offer advice or suggestions on a rebuild? This engine has the
extended bell housing is this a huge problem? I would like to find someone to rebuild this for me. I am located in Texas.

thanks
dodgedifferent2

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

someone does make conversion kits for that extended bellhousing 331 so u can use either a chev 350 trans or something along that line...or maybe the 727 or A-833 but i cannot remember where i seen it posted or read it . i know some people have cut off that extended bellhousing to make it work
centerline

Post by centerline »

PowerPlay makes an adaptor for the extended block for a Chevy 4 speed. Check this link. http://www.hothemiheads.com/transadapte ... 53chrysler
At this time I'm not aware of anyone selling an automatic adaptor for the extended block, but I do know some people are working on it.

These engines stock produced less than 200 hp but with a change to 54 or later big port heads and a bump in compression along with a good cam and intake will really liven them up. Be advised though that rebuilding a hemi is not like rebuilding a small block Chevy. You shouldn't let just any machine shop do the work and plan on spending about double what a SBC would cost to rebuild one.
41hemi

727 trans adapter

Post by 41hemi »

Just wanted to share the info that Wilcap out in California just released their 727 AT adapter for the extended bellhousing hemis. Looks like you cut off the bell section of the 727 and bolt the adapter to the front pump. Converter goes in the extended bell area. I think it is about 350 bucks.