Hemi Industrial Engines

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

gassercoupe

Hemi Industrial Engines

Post by gassercoupe »

Hi,

I'm the new guy on the block as I picked up my first Hemi yesterday, and I have some questions.

It is a 1957 354 industrial engine, I plan to bore it to 4in. and have an old Offy 8V intake that I can use. The problem is that industrial engines don't have water outlets at the front of the heads.
What is the proper way of dealing with this problem?

John
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

I have the same question as i also have a 57 354 Industrial engine. Im gonna be putting an 8-71 blower on it with Hilborn Injection (maybe conv to EFI, but prob not). Its all going into a 31 model A 5window coupe on Duece Rails. Gonna run a 4 speed ( hemi A833) and an 8-3/4 rearend.

Brian
Boost is like crack. The first hits free, after that it drains your wallet and bank account
TrWaters

Water outlets

Post by TrWaters »

There are a couple ways to deal with the water outlets. Most, and I say most aftermarket intakes have a threaded (1/2 pipe) hole to the water jackets between the first and second port on the intake /head flange. You can plumb from there forward into a Weiand remote thermostat housing. (Part # 7134).
I have also seen where the front of the truck/industrial heads have been drilled and tapped 1/2 pipe, and run to the same remote housing.
I hope this helps.

Tr Waters
Early hemi Adapters
centerline

Post by centerline »

Having the manifold drilled for the 1/2" pipe (as has been suggested) is by far the easiest way to go and is (traditionally) the way the old school hot rodders did it.

The alternative would be to use '55 and later heads with the water outlets and crossover pipe w/thermostat housing.
Spence40

Industrial heads

Post by Spence40 »

Several problems arise when using Ind. heads , the valves are small and usually they used large stems for sodium cooled stems , this can be redone to use performance guides and valves . The center port in the head is NOT a heat riser passage but an extra cooling passage , most passenger and aftermarket intakes won't cover this , it can be welded shut however . They are several lbs. heavier than pass. car heads , the accessory mounting lugs on the ends of the heads are ugly . The only thing good is they have no heat riser passage into the exhaust ports . I would look for some pass. car heads .