Welding the block

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Mike's 331

Welding the block

Post by Mike's 331 »

Normally I wouldn't ask this and just throw it away but since it's not a 350 Chevy I'd like to get an external crack about 6 in. long welded.Anybody had any luck doing this?My main concern is that it's probably been cracked(from freezing) for 20 or so years and I wonder if the rust could sort of wick it's way into the pores of the iron.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Cast iron can be welded, but it needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing or it will spider web with cracks. I've got a 392 block that was cracked around a core plug from freezing and was welded up by an old timer who welded for a living. It supposedly doesn't leak, but I haven't used the block yet so I can't say for sure. The guy I got it from was using it for an irrigation pump engine and claimed it never leaked. As I understand it, the process used by the welder was to weld a little at a time with an arc welder and nickel rod, then let the block cool down completely before welding a little more. Another way I understand it can be done is to pre-heat the area cherry red with a torch with a rosebud tip, then weld the crack with nickel rod.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
centerline

Post by centerline »

You might want to check out http://www.muggyweld.com/castiron.html. They have a new method of welding cast iron that seems to work very well.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I have seen factory service replacement blocks that were welded at the factory from Chrysler, both 392 and 426.... The one I saw recently was torn down after being used for over 30 years and pressure tested just fine.

In the 50-60-70s they had US craftsmen that repaired things, not threw them away...... They did not have computers to tell them what to do either!!!!

The only person locally that repairs cast iron is a young 80 and has been doing it to farm and large truck engines for a few (60) years. He has cut his work week down to 4 days a week now to slow down a little......
Mike's 331

Post by Mike's 331 »

Thanks a bunch for the info.I'm determined to save it.
XXLCH

Cracks in the Block

Post by XXLCH »

Anyone know where the typical location is for a crack resulting from freezing?
xxlch
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

The welded block I have cracked in a horzontal direction to either side of the center freeze plug on the side of the block.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Mike's 331

Post by Mike's 331 »

Same place as mine.