Rumor: I-4 Turbo to Replace Pentastar V-6, I-6 Turbo to Replace 5.7 Hemi in FCA Lineup

Mopar related news and press releases.
scottm

Rumor: I-4 Turbo to Replace Pentastar V-6, I-6 Turbo to Replace 5.7 Hemi in FCA Lineup

Post by scottm »

Big Changes Possibly Coming for FCA Powerplants
http://www.trucktrend.com/news/1705-rum ... ca-lineup/
The last five to seven years have seen some major developments in truck and SUV powertrains, with eight, nine and 10-speed automatics going from the realm of exotic to mainstream, and forced-induction six-cylinders becoming accepted by the notoriously traditional full-size truck market. Well, if you thought the Ford EcoBoost V-6 in the F-150 was a mind-blowing game-changer, be prepared to have your mind blown again, if a report from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) enthusiast blog Allpar.com is true.

The site is claiming that the well-regarded Pentastar V-6 is headed into its golden years, and at best has another 6-10 years left in it before it’s replaced by a turbocharged I-4 across the FCA lineup. The I-4 engine, codenamed “GME” will displace approximately 2.4 liters, and will reportedly feature direct fuel injection, a close-coupled catalyst, a twin-scroll turbocharged, offset crankshaft, belt starter/generator (facilitating auto stop-start functionality), and a variable flow electric water pump. The high-tech engine will reportedly be offered in two stages of tune, one making between 240-260 horsepower, and a high-output version making around 300 horsepower, reportedly slated for the JL Wrangler, and possibly for the Ram 1500. Additional potential applications include the Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee, and the next-generation Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300, as well as the Pacifica minivan.

You may remember a few months ago when we reported that production of the 5.7L Hemi was being wound down, in parallel with the model cycle for the Ram 1500. In this latest update, Allpar claims the 5.7L Hemi will be replaced by a high-tech turbocharged I-6 engine, featuring many of the same features as the GME I-4. Exact displacement is unknown, but will likely be between 3.0 and 3.6 liters, with output of more than 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque. What this means for the future of the Hemi V-8 is also unknown. The 6.4L and 6.2L supercharged Hemi engines will likely live on another 3–5 years in the SRT models, and the 6.4L V-8 will likely continue to be offered in the Ram HD models. However, the 5.7L’s days may be numbered in the Ram 1500 and Grand Cherokee. While we’re all for technology and progress, we have to admit we’ll be a little sad to see the curtains come down on the 5.7L Hemi. Will turbocharged, downsized power get Mopar enthusiasts just as excited? We may be about to find out in the near future.
While I think turbos are cool, I don't think using them as a replacement for displacement is cool.
I think this change is inevitable. I'm glad that I was able to get my 5.7L HEMI before they're EOL.
Hemi Lover

Re: Rumor: I-4 Turbo to Replace Pentastar V-6, I-6 Turbo to Replace 5.7 Hemi in FCA Lineup

Post by Hemi Lover »

This is the problem having European ownership.