valve cover clearence in an a-body

Discussion of the 426 Street / Strip HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

john

valve cover clearence in an a-body

Post by john »

So I stuffed my Hemi into a '68 Dart,hammered the fender panel, etc. etc., got the engine in place (evenused the stock crossmember) and everything fit fine---EXCEPT---now I can't get the Stage V valve covers off 'cause it seems the new factory crossram hangs to far over the valve covers to let me lift them up & back to get them off. I thought about grinding the underside of the manifold where it hits to clear, but I don't know how thick the casting is. Has anyone else have this problem?
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

never done an A body but I used Mr. Bluetooth and Miller welder to "modify" 2 66 b body engine compartments.

PS NOTHING ever fits when doing a hemi clone. You have to make, modify, or reengineer just about everything.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I've read some posts at cuda-challenger.com about the Stage V valvecovers even causing clearance problems in the B and E bodies. Apparently they are larger externally than most other covers.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Got my 528 in my '69 Cuda w/ Ray Barton crossram and Indy valve covers. Had to relocate the brake booster and the upper shock mount on the passenger side. Other than that, it fits fine and I can get the valve covers off relatively easy.

[/img]
Mopar---"Built To Run--Here To Stay"
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Hey OS, welcome to the board! Things are a little slower here than over at C-C.com, but there's a lot of cool folks here with a lot of hemi knowledge to share.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
john

Post by john »

Thanks guys, guess my chassis builder mounted the engine just "off" enough to maake it a problem. I cut a panel out of the inner fender, flattened it & re-installed it. It now offers just enough clearence to make it. Not exactly how I wanted to do, so I'm thinking of getting rid of the car less engine & trans---anyone interested?
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

392heminut wrote:Hey OS, welcome to the board! Things are a little slower here than over at C-C.com, but there's a lot of cool folks here with a lot of hemi knowledge to share.
Thanks 392....
Glad to know there are knowledgeable hemi folks here------I need more knowledge for sure! 8)
Mopar---"Built To Run--Here To Stay"