Brakes for a 72 plymouth duster!

Discussion of the 426 Street / Strip HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

crash

Brakes for a 72 plymouth duster!

Post by crash »

I know i post things off topic, but you guys are the only ones that seem to answer my hard questions. We can't seem to find a disk brake convertion kit with booster for my brothers 1972 plymouth duster. The brakes have a hard time stoping my bro's 318. We whent to a junk yard to find a booster and we got one and it fit and all but it was broken. where can i find a new booster and disk brake convertion kit for my bro?
HemiFish69

Post by HemiFish69 »

You could do the same thing I did, use the entire brake system off a donor '73 Plymouth Scamp. Just like a Dart with a Duster front clip and doors. As long as you grab the upper a-arms, spindles, disks, and calipers,(I can't remember if you need the lower arms too, but I used them) it will all bolt on to your '72 with about a 1-1.5 increase in track width. Don't forget to steal the proportioning valve off the frame rail of the donor car. And make sure you use the same diameter lines used on the parts car. Don't bother with a junk master cylinder, buy new and tell them it's for the scamp.
One problem, you get the bigger bolt circle on the discs, and it won't be the same as the rear wheels. Don't re-drill the axles, the holes come too close to the edges of the flanges (I did that). Find one of those unilug rims and use that for a spare, or do the right thing and spring for new axles.
An expert is someone called in at the last minute to share the blame.
crash

Post by crash »

where can i get new axles? I can never find them, not in jegs, or summit. should i get 5 by 4 1/2 bolt pattern?Where would the valve be? where would i get unilug rims?

My 72 has Cragar ss (had them when i bought the car) on but it has 5 by 4 boltpattern and i can't find any other cragars that would fit the 5 by 4