Racing a Supercharged Early HEMI

1st Gen HEMI how-tos, tips and tricks.
scottm

Post by scottm »

Overview – From 1972 to present I have been running a supercharged early hemi in competition. In the 70’s it was a 354 in my BB/GS ’48 Austin “The Myth” - today in a Fiat Topolino altered on alcohol. I learned the hard way – a lot of burned up pistons getting the combination to work. For those who would like to race a supercharged hemi, the following write-up will be helpful. WHY TAKE MY ADVICE? Except for the tip breaking off a valve, I have NEVER broken anything in the rotating assembly. Burned up pistons on gasoline – YES. Otherwise, nothing broken – no wiped out bearings. I don’t baby these things. In the ‘70’s the coupe ran 162 mph in 8.57 sec @ 2900 lbs with 5.57 gears and 14-32x15 tires. Get out your dream wheel – That’s over 9000 rpm!

Why am I posting this write-up? I am continually asked by hemi lovers how I keep the thing together. Like there’s some secret. As I noted somewhere on my web site (http://www.myth-racing.com), getting a hemi to run isn’t rocket science. The intent of this write-up is to provide some answers and set your mind at ease. If you’re a newbie and would like to run a supercharged hemi, maybe this will move you from the “wondering what it would be like” to the “action” stage. I also manufacture hemi assembly tools and other goodies – check out my site. Additionally, I am more than happy to answer your questions - contact information on the site.
I'm going to eventually get this posted officially on the website.
Until then, here's the original copy from Ed. Really great stuff!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottm

Re: Racing a Supercharged Early HEMI

Post by scottm »

The document has been updated. Download the latest copy today!
copterav8r

Re: Racing a Supercharged Early HEMI

Post by copterav8r »

Myth-Racing site is down, anyone know what's going on? I would like to order a few tools from them.