1972 AMC Gremlin with Turbocharged 354 HEMI

1st Gen HEMI projects and products.

Moderator: scottm

scottm

Post by scottm »

http://theamcforum.com/forum/72-hemi-gr ... 68464.html
The motor is a rebuilt 54' 354 hemi with a mild street cam. Engine was built by Fran Olson out of N. Carolina in 2009. ( He is an old drag engine builder). I bought it from a guy last summer who lost interest in his build. ( Motor is still in rebuild lube) In the 70's Accel sold a bolt on turbo kit that you could bolt on your stock engine. It is a draw through style with a modest 7psi boost. Should work great with the Hemi and add some torque.
OOPS! Forgot to explain the turbo setup. This early 70's setup did not use a wastegate. Under the carb. is a butterfly valve, so at idle the turbo by passes the chamber and loops back.(Suppose to act like non turbo) When you ramp up the RPM's the vaccum opens the butterfly and lets boost in. Pretty simple. Hope it works!
No one can read that topic and NOT check this out. :P
It's a work in progress, but should be an interesting one!
stuuu4

Re: 1972 AMC Gremlin with Turbocharged 354 HEMI

Post by stuuu4 »

IMG_20171107_094210.jpg
Here is the roller finished and ready for my hemi. Getting ready to install motor. When I dropped oil pan noticed the builder put a junk yard pump in it. It is now going to an old local hemi builder in Jan. to be taken apart and done right. (54' Chrysler 331 bored to 354 with vintage accel turbo) Will post pic when motor is back in car.Bob[
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottm

Post by scottm »

Awesome, I can't wait to check it out!
fal308

Post by fal308 »

Did this ever get finished?
scottm

Post by scottm »

Update from Bob:
Finished end of Oct, but will wait till spring to drive it. Some details, made a custom steel dash, 70's Stewart Warner gauges, vintage Panasonic 8-track stereo system, 70' rare base solid rear window, 63' F100 straight axle, GM TurboGlide trans. (shifting done in torque converter), maxi-blue color with painted silver stripe. Pretty pleased with how it turned out. Should be fun.
Pretty interesting project.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.