OLD OR NEW STARTER? THAT IS THE QUESTION

1st Gen HEMI projects and products.

Moderator: scottm

bgreene30

OLD OR NEW STARTER? THAT IS THE QUESTION

Post by bgreene30 »

Hi everyone,

I am building a 56' 330 Desoto to go into my 67 D100 truck that has a torqueflite transmission. Car will be a sort of daily weekend driver and bike hauler and need some advice:

1) Hot heads has a tranny adapter but I have to use a 70's mopar starter or buy theirs. I have a perfectly good 12v stock desoto starter (they sell for $290) so, does anyone make a reliable tranny adapter that I can use that will enable me to use that starter?

2) How do you feel about using the stock one?

3) what are the pro's and cons of each? I am on somewhat of a budget (wedding approaching).

4) What is the average price I could fetch for my stock starter if someone were building a restored car and you all tell me to dump her!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
DavidBraley

Re: OLD OR NEW STARTER? THAT IS THE QUESTION

Post by DavidBraley »

Bob,

I personally would go with the later model starter. You don't have to buy the starter from Hot Heads. The parts store down the street will have one you can use. The reason I say this is because the truck will be a "sometimes" daily driver. Starters are a maintenance item, and you don't need the hassle of finding an original replacement.

Your idea of selling the original one is good. How much it's worth is hard to say. Who knows, you might even make enough to get a later model starter. You might even pick up a later model used starter from a Pick-And-Pull in your area. :wink:

When you buy your adapter, make sure they tell you exactly which model(s) starter fits it.

David
Last edited by DavidBraley on Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
bgreene30

Post by bgreene30 »

Thanks David.
George

Post by George »

I like the adaptor from Q.E.C. & it uses the modern starter, found @ any parts store if your craps out.
mart

Post by mart »

George wrote: I like the adaptor from Q.E.C. & it uses
the modern starter, found @ any parts
store if your craps out.
-------------------
Yep, for a daily driver, go with the "much
cheaper and *available anywhere*
" late-model
style starter and sell your 'high-dollar' re-built
original to someone doing a restoration.

mart
============================
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I used the Wilcap adapter that Bob Walker sells with my 392 and TF 727 and had no problem bolting on the late style mini starter that is used on the 5.2 & 5.9 Magnum engines.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda