I know This Ain't Hemi Related.....

1st Gen HEMI projects and products.

Moderator: scottm

Rob

I know This Ain't Hemi Related.....

Post by Rob »

....but this is my other project. It's a '63 Dart 170 2 door sedan. Slant and a 3 on the tree. I am building a HOT long rod 225 for it. That's a 225 with the 198 connecting rod and 2.2 Chrysler pistons. I know....it's a hermoprphodite...but it WORKS. they have a hellish rod to stroke ratio and unGodly bottom end torque. I've already installed stock size 1.78 and 1.50 318 valves in the head and have the rods, pistons and some preliminary machine work done. It's gonna kinda end up having a flair sorta like the little AMC Hurst S/C Rambler. Kinda a Hurst Dart theme. I have a 4 speed cast iron case overdrive and have already installed an 8.750 rear axle. The overdvire has a first gear ratio of 3.09:1 and an overdrive ratio of .73:1. I plan on running a 4.10 gear so that means a final first gear of 12.67:1 and a final OD gear of 2.99:1. Kinda the best of both worlds. Here is the car. It needs some work, but overall is really a solid little project.

DavidBraley

Re: I know This Ain't Hemi Related.....

Post by DavidBraley »

I like it!

Of course, I would put the Hemi in the Dart, leave the patina, and enjoy the looks on peoples faces when they see nothing but tail light from a "Grandmas car." :roll:

Can you imagine how scary the understeer would be in that thing from having 800 lbs of Hemi sitting under the hood? What's that funny saying, "Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers!" :lol:

Have you already said where you're going to put that Hemi? I must have missed that. My short term memory isn't what it used to be. :-?

David
Horsepower determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque determines the size of the hole you make. Holzwarth's Law
Rob

Re: I know This Ain't Hemi Related.....

Post by Rob »

Only two things hurt short term memory....old age and a little green herb. lol

You better know I've thought about the Hemi in there. But, the 63 A bodies never came with a V8 and were actually designed around the slant. The firewall is different than the 64 and up and would require some cutting.......cutting that I'm just not willing to do to such a solid little car. So, hot slant it is. It will be a fun and different ride. The Hemi I got for a rat rod truck I would like to build. I have no idea where it will come from or what it will be......but I found the Hemi pretty locally and very cheap so I pounced on it. I figure they are not getting any easier to find so I better get it now.....so I did. I'm kinda a purist and really want an older Dodge truck of course.....but I am going to take what I can find. It's 2011 and the old stuff is just becoming more extinct every day. I am even open to building something. Thought about looking around for something like an S10 chassis or the like. Can put whatever cab I want on it and have some fairly modern suspension and braking components. We'll see what comes up.