270 Hemi Fuel pump arm breaking

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

JimB

270 Hemi Fuel pump arm breaking

Post by JimB »

Hi Guys! I'm new to the site and I'm allready bringing problems. I've got a '55 dodge pick-up that came with an electric fuel pump. Upon removing it to keep the engine stock, I inserted a rebuilt (out of the box-new)pump. I first checked it with my hand to verify that it pumped. I installed it and within the first revolution it cracked the arm. I installed another...same thing. I now have the timing cover removed to inspect the pump cam, it looks fine. Any suggestions?[/b]
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

Are you sure you haven't been getting pumps for the LA engines (318, 340 etc.)? The arm on the LA engine fuel pump is longer. Matter of fact, you can get a 3/8" spacer from Bob Walker at www.hothemiheads.com to run an LA fuel pump on an early hemi.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
JimB

Post by JimB »

No, these aren't for the 318's etc. One pump came with the truck, in a box. Second one off of Ebay. Both stated 270 Dodge V-8 for 1955. It's cracking right at the fulcrum...as if the cam wasn't correct. I've heard that the A engine timing chain set-up will work on this engine. Maybe if I use the 318 fuel pump eccentric? Idunno!