Desoto block size

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Gullwing

Desoto block size

Post by Gullwing »

I am building a kit car (1954 Gullwing 300SL) and would like to put a hemi under the hood. At present there is a small block Ford which is rated at 215 HP. I am not as interested in putting huge amounts of horsepower in the engine compartment as I am in putting a really cool motor in it. I am considering a Desoto hemi as I believe it will fit. I was wondering if someone on this forum could tell me some outside dimentions. Can someone tell me the size of the low block 276/291 versus the high block 330/341/345. I suppose I could make anything fit if I had to but there is a limited space between firewall and steering rack
originalwirehead

Post by originalwirehead »

Check out the Austrialian Hemi website. They have some dimensions posted there. Heres the link: http://www.hemi.com.au/otherinfo.htm
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

The engine is just over 28 inches wide which is about the same as a 426 hemi. The height is about the same as a small block Mopar. Bill
I am always looking for early hemi info and willing to give some to those not yet schooled in these old engines. I have a small machine shop and am currently gathering material for a small foundry. Hope to make custom parts for the old hemis.
George

Post by George »

The Dodges Hemis would be somewhat smaller outside than the DeSotos, & probably slightly cheaper parts & easier to find performance parts also.
Hannah1935

Hemi in a German

Post by Hannah1935 »

I would use a 241 or 270 Dodge Red Ram Hemi..Smaller then a small block chevy..Can get 300hp out of it..
there is 5 cents :roll:
Hello..I have a 1935 Tudor Ford Slant back Sedan...My hobbies are Stromberg 97s and intakes manifolds..