new to early hemi's-please help

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hoxiehippy

new to early hemi's-please help

Post by hoxiehippy »

i recently purchased 2-hemis a 241 and a 341. needing parts for both engines here is my question-are parts interchangable between all standard blocks(dodge, desoto and chrysler). their are numerous parts on ebay but i dont know what will interchange with what. Is it possible to get 500 hp out of the 241,anyone done it without a blower. also can anyone give me the name of a book-manual-ect on building these engines. I have built small and big blocks for 30 years but this is a new ballgame.any help would be appreciated
ANDY241

Post by ANDY241 »

Really nothing interchanges. The lifters and valve keepers and some front covers is about all. The 241 will make good power but not 500HP. It's main problem is shrouding around the titake valve bosses. The 325's finially got a flat passage around the boss and the power went way up. I would look for some 270 heads. The 315/325 heads won't fit by the way. Port the 270 heads and I am afraid you will have to build your on intake. All available manifolds are junk. A little sheet metal tunnal ram with a small afb will get the job done. Get a harmonic balancer from a 360 for the engine. You will have to fiddle with the key and the timing pointer. Good luck.
George

Post by George »

Get Tex Smiths Hemi Book from Hot Rod Library. Check Doc Fromaders 315 build on Webrodder.
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

Unfortunately the 241 isn't much bigger than the 3.8 Buick. Fortunately it is a hemi and that usually makes a statement in any engine compartment.
The rod journal diameter is only 1-15/16" so custom rods would have to be built if you're looking to make some serious HP. Hilborn does make injectors for it again. You can have a lot of fun with it. The 341 is a more serious engine. Used in junior fuel cars back in the sixties they were nearly unbeatable. Don Enriquez used a Gene Adams built 291 that was punched to a 305 and it ran 7.20s unblown and with only direct drive. My neighbor is putting a 241 into a 64 Valiant. He has the 3-duece intake which is still available. He has carb adapters on it so that it takes 4-bolt style carbs like off a 318. Hot Heads is a good source but they are rather proud of their products. Go with a set of Venolia forgings of around 9.5-10.0 depending on your cam. The cam itself has nice fat lobes so Crower can do a lot with it. Limit your valve spring pressure to about 100 lbs seat pressure and it it shouldn't ruin the cam. Go with a converter of at least 3000 RPM since a motor this small won't stall very well due to it's size.
Advertized torque converter stall speeds are only realized by using a larger engine like a 427 or 440. Because the valves and ports are small, you won't need a lot of lift. 270 degrees with about .425 lift ought to work just fine. The smaller the valve, the shorter the lift and vica versa.
I am always looking for early hemi info and willing to give some to those not yet schooled in these old engines. I have a small machine shop and am currently gathering material for a small foundry. Hope to make custom parts for the old hemis.