291 HEMI SWAP TO A 65 BARRACUDA

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

HOTRODCHARLIE1969

291 HEMI SWAP TO A 65 BARRACUDA

Post by HOTRODCHARLIE1969 »

I WANT TO SWAP MY HEMI INTO MY 65 BARRACUDA,ANY THOUGHTS ON MOTOR MOUNTS?I HAVE A 291 STROKED TO 336 (330 CRANK)JE FORGED PISTONS(13.8-1CR)H BEAM RODS,ROLLER CAM,AND SOON A SHEETMETAL INTAKE.MOROSO IS LINED UP TO FAB A PAN FOR ME(CENTER SUMP)UNLESS ANY ONE HAS A DESOTO CENTER SUMP ALREADY? AND I HAVE A GUY TO FAB FENDERWELL HEADERS.REALLY MY MAIN AREA OF CONCERN IS MY MOTOR MOUNTS.MAYBE A MOTOR PLATE DOES ANYONE MAKE THEM?I CHOSE THE BARRACUDA BECAUSE OF ITS RELATIVE SIZE(SMALL)THIS IS MY FIRST MOPAR(I AM A CHEVY GUY)I WILL TAKE ANY AND ALL ADVICE ON THIS PROJECT.THANKS HOTRODCHARLIE.
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

That would be really cool. I wish that I could help you. I'm fixing an early A-body also. A 64 Valiant. It's not got a Hemi in it though. I do have a picture of a person that put a 331 or the 354 in a 65 Valiant I do believe. I would have to find it. I would think that the Desoto would fit a little easier, cause it's a little smaller is size wize. Post some pictures when you get it done.

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

I'm putting a 341 into a 67 Valiant. My exhaust system was a nightmare and I went with solid mounts to prevent any engine rocking. The cearances are that tight. The steering box is the issue. I had to remove metal from the passenger side shock tower and move the brake cylinder over about 2". Yours is the low deck so you may get by on the master cylinder by taking out the crank pin on the brake arm and turning it around so that it faces the driver;s side kick panel. You'll then have to move the cylinder over about .800" and redrill the firewall and remount the cylinder. Here is the web address for a Desoto mounts on Ebay. They may be just right for you. Would really like some photos of your project as it goes along. Am making a sheet metal tunnel ram for my 330 right now. Don't know how to add photos to this site or I'd add them now. Bill :D
I am always looking for early hemi info and willing to give some to those not yet schooled in these old engines. I have a small machine shop and am currently gathering material for a small foundry. Hope to make custom parts for the old hemis.
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

OOPS! Here's the motor mount site. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50s-Chry ... dZViewItem
By the way, my neighbor is putting a 241 Dodge into a 64 Valiant wagon. He's making it into a 2-door with swing-out tailgate and a 64 Barracuda grill. It has an Offy 3-duece intake and is being modified to TPI injection from a Ford 4.6 V-8. Just the caruretor bases will be used as the throttle body with the air flow meter being housed inside an air scoop.
I am always looking for early hemi info and willing to give some to those not yet schooled in these old engines. I have a small machine shop and am currently gathering material for a small foundry. Hope to make custom parts for the old hemis.
65Valiant

Post by 65Valiant »

Hey there,
I attached a link to my aol photo page with pics of my pro-streeted '56 HEMI '65 Valiant, It was quite a task, as far as the motor mounts we used the original '56 mount minus the impregnated rubber with our own mount platform fabricated to the mounts attached to the original slant-6 k-member. It is solid mounted basically, there is a .060 thick strip of rubber between the k-member and motor mounts due to the fact that the exhaust was tight and we did not want much engine movement. We used the stock manifolds from the '56 so we could keep the steering kind of factory, except for the universal joints we added to the steering rod, which allowed us to keep the center drag link and steering box. The oil pan and pump is off a 392 center sump set-up, again allowing us to keep the front end basically '65 stock except for the '74 Dart Swinger disc brake swap. Anyway good luck and shout if you have some questions I will try to help if I can, Thanks Brian

http://pictures.aol.com/galleries/slantfx6
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

How do I go about adding a photo to this forum?
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

If possible I would like to see some photos of your 291 Barracuda project. Soetime back I got photos from a guy putting a Hilborn injected 291 into a Dodge Stealth. Boy did he have some mofifying to do. I can be reached at crossram5@msn.com. Thank you, Bill
scottm

Post by scottm »

I can post on http://www.thehemi.com/gallery/ if I get the pics.