New to the hemi world just purchased a 330 Desoto

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

38 mopar_fan

New to the hemi world just purchased a 330 Desoto

Post by 38 mopar_fan »

Hi New to the hemi world, I live in New Zealand and always wanted one so have just purchased a 330 Desoto from the USA. It is in the process of being shipped so I don’t exactly know what I’m getting until it arrives. I’m interested in the adaptation of the LA small block front cover, could anyone explain the process? I believe the LA timing set will fit and would like to know what options are available for lifters etc.

Do the 56 Desoto motors need a modification to the oil bypass for full flow filters?

I intend to purchase the Tex smith Hemi book but would appreciate any help or advice.
Regards

Peter
George

Post by George »

The Tex Smith book is good, but a bit thin on DeSoto. Lifters..According to Leo Lundquist's parts number books it seems that lifters can interchange between the series. It is generaly accepted the lifters for the pre 68 383/413 will work on all hyd. Chryslers. Doc Fromader on Webrodder used LA 318 lifters in a 315 Dodge. Where the parts # overlap it would seem that you can use either.
38 mopar_fan

Post by 38 mopar_fan »

Cheers George.

looking forward to getting into this. Will order thebook this week.

I have some LA lifters I was going to sell so might just hold onto them and check it out. Hopefully someone will know about the issues of fitting the LA timing cover

Peter