4V intake for low deck Dodge

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

PCalaguiro

4V intake for low deck Dodge

Post by PCalaguiro »

I just finished an aluminium 4V intake for my 270 Dodge adapted from an SB2 Chevy intake. I fired it and drove it around last week and it works well on the street. I am taking it to Maxton in October and will do further testing there. Hopefully it will flow well. If it works, I would provide info on building one. It is very labour intensive but looks very impressive. If I knew how to attach a picture of it to this posting, I would have.
Peter.
Hemi T
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Sounds like you'e been looking at the Studebaker forums.I am building my own manifold also for a DeSoto.I thought about using the same Edelbrock as you,but too expensive.I'm building mine using materials that are available to anyone,and can be built on your work bench ,needing only drill press and air powered grinder.A tunnel ram type would be easier,but I don't like the sharp 90 degree turns for the end cylinders,plus extra material would cost more.Stock 4bbl.manifold on ebay right now,$450.00 plus shipping,and still has port runners way smaller than head ports.Gasket matching won't cure it.Mine has cosistant runner cross section all the way to carb,and matches port perfectly.Cost $200.00 for materials,but my labor is priceless.Still building it,but I'm in no hurry to finish.Should be done in about 4 weeks.
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

I am in the process of doing 2 intakes for a tall deck Dodge. For one I am using a SB2 intake......the other I am using a Mopar P7 intake. As Peter said, its alot of work.... even more for a tall deck motor.
If you shop around, you can find SB2's fairly cheap. Just be aware of the restrictor plate intakes. I stock cnc machined 6061 intake flanges for the Dodge in different thicknesses....if anyone is up to the challenge.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Pete,Tom,MOPAR to ya!This is what Studebaker guy's have been doing for a while on their forum(with pic's).I chose to mill my plates because my drill press is set up for light milling.I suppose that the self proclaimed "expert "will post that you it won't work.He probly believes that GM'S 1961 aluminum V8's didn't come stock with beehive valve springs either.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Pete,I do have one question for you.Did you have a problem with the intake bolts since they are close to theports?I'm going to use allen head bolts on my intake to get clearance.
PCalaguiro

Post by PCalaguiro »

I only use four bolts per side. The others are in the middle of the runners. I had the flange machined perfectly flat and I run water with a conditioner and as of yet, I have no leaks. I also use allen head bolts and small diameter washers for clearance.
Peter
Hemi T
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Got any pictures?

Lee
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
mbmopar

Post by mbmopar »

I have seen pics of Peter's Manifold project, one word - AWESOME!

I'd love to try it my self.

TR do you have the flanges listed on your site?

Anyone else have pics ?

Thanks,
Derek
PUT A DODGE IN YOUR GARAGE !
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

On the nascar manfold what is the actual spacing of the ports inch wise?
Thanks. :)
PCalaguiro

SB2 on a Desoto

Post by PCalaguiro »

The SB2 should actually work better on a Desoto if you are careful when you cut the flange off. The SB2 is longer (15 3/8") than the Dodge (15")so I used a 3/4" flange to start the transition in size and location of the ports. Your ports are larger than the Dodge's and your flange is almost identical to the SB2. I am measuring from the outermost bolt holes. The real issue may be the width of the intake.
All SB2 intakes are different. I used a restrictor intake but the ports are only restricted at the very end and I cut that piece off.
Good Luck
Peter
Hemi T
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

I have a couple of the Edelbrock unmachined SB2 intakes, as well as Mopar P7. Another that might be considered is the new Edelbrock Victor Jr. for the LS1.

I have aluminum flanges in both 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch for the Dodge. All the above intakes would be an easier fit to the low deck Dodge or Desoto than to the tall deck. I had to add to mine (tig) after milling the actual manifold flange to the correct angle, to get the tall deck width.

Nothing compared to the intake I am doing for my 6.1+ new hemi. :o
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
PCalaguiro

Car for sale

Post by PCalaguiro »

I am selling my car with the Dodge Hemi on ebay. Sale number 200118004552. When it sells , my SB2 intake will also be for sale along with most of my Hemi heads, cranks and blocks.
Peter.
Hemi T
345 DeSoto

Re: 4V intake for low deck Dodge

Post by 345 DeSoto »

I'd like to give this a try, however, before laying all that money out for an intake I'd need to cut up, I'd like to see what "38 Mopar Fan"'s intakes look like. Is this the same person/establishment as "Hamilton Intakes"? Besides, I'd need one for a 276/291 DeSoto. Any pictures or details on adapting an SB2 to a desoto?...
38 mopar_fan

Re: 4V intake for low deck Dodge

Post by 38 mopar_fan »

345 DeSoto wrote:I'd like to give this a try, however, before laying all that money out for an intake I'd need to cut up, I'd like to see what "38 Mopar Fan"'s intakes look like. Is this the same person/establishment as "Hamilton Intakes"? Besides, I'd need one for a 276/291 DeSoto. Any pictures or details on adapting an SB2 to a desoto?...
Hi Peter Here, (38 Mopar Fan) did you get to see some photos of my intake? I don't know who or what establishment Hamilton intakes are, I'm trading under the mane of Williamson Speed equipment "home of the Wheke Manifold" was supposed to be low key but had to start a business to to sell them, I think the accountant is making more out of these than me :D (sorry Grant if you are reading this)

Anyway cheers

Peter W