Water pump 1955 Desoto Fireflite Sportsman

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

EatMyRam

Water pump 1955 Desoto Fireflite Sportsman

Post by EatMyRam »

Hello

My water pump is leaking on my Desoto -55.
Ordered a new one from a big local dealer.
Recived a water pump that was totaly different from the one I have.

The dealer claims is should be the right water pump for a Desoto -55.
My shop manual do not show any water pump even similar the pump I recived.

My water pump look like a chrysler water pump. Round with 4 bolt holes.

Could.. an early chrysler waterpump fit my 291 hemi engine?
Or do anyone now were I can find the "right" water pump and.. maybe som pictures?

Best regards
Mikael
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

The Chrysler and the Dodge water pumps will not work on the Desoto engine. Any of the Desoto pumps from 52-57 will work on the 55 291. Early ones had grease fittings and the later ones did not. Kanter Auto Parts have them however they are in my opinion expensive and you need to send them a core. Try to find a local rebuilder to reseal and put bearings in your original pump. I see them on ebay also. Good Luck :D
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
EatMyRam

Post by EatMyRam »

41hemi wrote:The Chrysler and the Dodge water pumps will not work on the Desoto engine. Any of the Desoto pumps from 52-57 will work on the 55 291. Early ones had grease fittings and the later ones did not. Kanter Auto Parts have them however they are in my opinion expensive and you need to send them a core. Try to find a local rebuilder to reseal and put bearings in your original pump. I see them on ebay also. Good Luck :D
Ok, but does it not fit because the chrysler pump is larger? Has a different bult pattern? Larger impeller?

Maybe it can be machined to fit. Need a water pumpo now, don´t want to wait 2-3 weeks for a water pump to be shipped from Usa to Sweden :cry:

And, my old water pump is not rebuildable anymore, the core has a big and large crack.

My old water pump was a ball bearing type water pump (according to my shop manual)
41hemi

Post by 41hemi »

Yes, the Chrysler has different bolt pattern and the pump is larger.....no way to machine it to fit Desoto that I am aware of. Yes the pumps have sealed ball bearings in them. Sounds like you may have to bite the bullet and wait for a Desoto pump from over here. All I can say is that sucks!!! :cry: :evil: :x
41 Chevy with blown 330 Desoto / 32 Ford coupe with blown 392 Chrysler
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"don´t want to wait 2-3 weeks for a water pump to be shipped from Usa to Sweden "

USPS, FedEx, and UPS have overnight delivery service available if you need it quick.

I had a customer that needed a trans in Aus quick, for $700.00 in freight he got it.
EatMyRam

Post by EatMyRam »

Bailiesdad wrote:"don´t want to wait 2-3 weeks for a water pump to be shipped from Usa to Sweden "

USPS, FedEx, and UPS have overnight delivery service available if you need it quick.

I had a customer that needed a trans in Aus quick, for $700.00 in freight he got it.
Well, I have actually ordered a water pump and it will arrive in a couple of weeks. Without having to pay a small fortune in shipping costs.

But, I have solved my urgent water pump problem. Bought a Chrysler water pump today, GTS 120-1200. It is a little bigger, but it will fit perfectly with some work (lathe?)

Winter is comming here in Sweden and it would be fun to get the chance to drive a little before I have to store it in the garage.
EatMyRam

Post by EatMyRam »

EatMyRam wrote:
Bailiesdad wrote:"don´t want to wait 2-3 weeks for a water pump to be shipped from Usa to Sweden "

Well, I have actually ordered a water pump and it will arrive in a couple of weeks. Without having to pay a small fortune in shipping costs.

But, I have solved my urgent water pump problem. Bought a Chrysler water pump today, GTS 120-1200. It is a little bigger, but it will fit perfectly with some work (lathe?)

Winter is comming here in Sweden and it would be fun to get the chance to drive a little before I have to store it in the garage.
Water pump mounted, fits perfectly!
rusty55desoto

Post by rusty55desoto »

what model did the replacement pump come from, was it a later model like a 440 rb ? got any pics of how it fitted?
Arthur

What's a 120-1200?

Post by Arthur »

>>But, I have solved my urgent water pump problem. Bought a Chrysler water pump today, GTS 120-1200. It is a little bigger, but it will fit perfectly with some work (lathe?) <<

Ok,I give up. What's a GTS 120-1200,and what years were they made?
Need 4x2 inline intake for either a 291 or 330 DeSoto

Want Fenton or Edmunds speed equipment for 230 inch flat 6 Dodge engines

Need 42 Dodge trim pieces

Need good windshield frame and hood center strip for 1 ton 1937 Dodge truck