Desoto intake

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Gullwing

Desoto intake

Post by Gullwing »

There have be so many failed attemps and dicouraging posts reguarding Desoto intakes that I hesitate to even mention the subject. I am in the midst of making an aluminum adapter to mount a weber or DelOrto carb to a short or tall deck Desoto. Obviously it will take 4 adapters and 4 carburettors per engine. You can certainly use the updraft carbs but they are getting a bit pricey. The sidedraft versions are less than half the cost. I am casting in a small boss into the adapter that I will tap and mount a Bosche electronic fuel injector. So I will remove the venturi and other parts from the carb and use them merely as throttle bodies. I have the mold all but done. My next step is to make some silicone molds used to cast wax molds. These will be sent to a foundry to be lost cast casted. I am wondering if there is anyone beside myself whis interested in the project?
38 mopar_fan

Post by 38 mopar_fan »

Hi Gullwing, would be interested in looking at the possibility of these adaptors. Are you making any provision to link then together say with a small tube to provide a common source of vacuum for a map sensor. I’m just negotiating with a pattern maker to produce a four barrel manifold for my 330. if it all works out I should have the first ones within 6 months. Yes I’ve seen all the stuff about failed attempts etc but I think I can make this work.

Cheers

Peter
desotoman

Post by desotoman »

Gullwing, what will the price be, and have you taken into consideration for the tall and low deck blocks?
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Hogans will make you one without all the trouble of casting, mockups, proto types.
Gullwing

Post by Gullwing »

I have a little more sanding to do on the model which I will be using to have sand casted. I have some other parts I need sand casted so I figure in the next month or so I will go to the foundry. I need to have four made for myself and I figured I would have another 4 made to show around. I havn't had anything sand casted in 10 years so don't know a ballpark. Also will need to make a core for the runners. That always cost a little more. Since these intakes are for one Weber, bolting them to the intake ports they will work on either high deck of low deck. There will be no common plenum just 8 individual tunable runners. I am casting in a boss so I can tap then screw in Bosche injectors. You can run them with Weber carbs or take out the venturis and just use the carbs as individual throttle bodies. I think the electronic fuel injection will give me the best of both worlds. It will have that killer period look of 8 velocity stacks yet infinately tunable with a computer
Gullwing

Post by Gullwing »

When using individual runners the issue of the vacuum is a tricky one. I will bore a hole connecting the two runners of each adaptor and will run all four vacuum lines to a common plenum. This will be used for idle bleed and for the MAP sensor
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Have you done any flow work to determine the optimal lengths of the runners?

The degree of their installation is important also to determine the amount of vacuum and gravity feed assistance available. The larger the angle of installation the more difficult it becomes to get good signals to the carbs.

If you paln to run shared plenium, Hogan can give you some very good assistance.
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

I have fabbed out a tunnel ram for my 341. My brother will do the welding. If it works out, I'll try and make a few for sale. Bill
I am always looking for early hemi info and willing to give some to those not yet schooled in these old engines. I have a small machine shop and am currently gathering material for a small foundry. Hope to make custom parts for the old hemis.
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

I am interested in your project and have actually tried one of my own for a custom project. It is of the lost wax method and is sort of like a set of Hilborns without the butterflies. I'm in the middle of buying what I need to pour as much as 20lbs of aluminum at a time which would include intakes. Right now I'm using a set of Hilborns that I modified for TPI injectors and Megsquirt system. A six pack setup using 340 carbs would be incredible on the street, especially with a set of ported heads and oversize valves. [img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\Kodak%20Pictures[/img]
I am always looking for early hemi info and willing to give some to those not yet schooled in these old engines. I have a small machine shop and am currently gathering material for a small foundry. Hope to make custom parts for the old hemis.
Gullwing

Re: Desoto intake

Post by Gullwing »

[URL=http://s73.photobucket.com/user/am ... .jpg[/img][URL=http://s73.photobucket.com/user/am ... .jpg[/img][urlImage][/url][/url][/url]

Wow, I can't believe how old this post is. Having said that I just got my intake manifold back from the foundry. I still need to have it machined and will polish it myself. This manifold is for the high deck (330-341-345) Desoto. I still have to finish the core boxes for the low deck (276-291) hemi
George

Post by George »

Where this is a twin style intake it should fit the low deck DeSotos also.
Hemi Rookie

Post by Hemi Rookie »

A newbie here on the site having owned my first hemi for about two months. It is a Desoto Fire Flite (strangely, it has a two-barrel carb), S-24, 330 ci (for now). It is destined for a home between the fat fenders of my '53 F-100 (a 1959 build for my last year in high school, class of 1960). I am learning a great deal and have a long way to go as some on this post have a lot of knowledge about these old engines. From reading, it seems there were no cast aluminum 3 x 2 intakes made by the major manufacturers. I have seen some nice log manifolds, but not real vintage. Some of the older posts talk about what people were doing to fill this void. Is anything being produced currently? Second thing I would like to learn about is the tranny. Mine came with the two-speed and I notice there is/was a three-speed as well. Are these tranny's strong enough (target of 325 HP) and are they a good choice? Should I look for a three-speed or attempt to adapt something from that period? Would the later (1959) aluminum Torqeflites adapt well? What was the rear gear ratio on these original cars? Thanks to anyone who can provide input. Gary
George

Post by George »

The '59 will bolt right on. Be more $ but Quality Engineered Components has a hemi to late model 727 that would be a better choice. Strange that you're S 24 has a 2 bl. most DeSotos came with 2 bls though.