Intermediate Shaft and Gear

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Hannah1935

Intermediate Shaft and Gear

Post by Hannah1935 »

Hello Again..I just got my new shaft and gear..I'm wondering what is the correct way to install them????/
Thanks
Duane.. :o
Hello..I have a 1935 Tudor Ford Slant back Sedan...My hobbies are Stromberg 97s and intakes manifolds..
George

Post by George »

best done with valley cover off.
1 set engine @ TDC.
2 take cap off dist, move rotor to point @ #1, note the direction the blade @ the bottom is going.
3 drop intermediat shaft in so that it & the oil pump join together. Note before you do this what direction the slot in the shaft is going. you have to drop the dist. in where the dist. shaft & int. shaft join, while the rotor still points at #1 & you have the vac. advance pointing toward the back so it will swing for timing adjustments. If at first you don't sucseede....
Hannah1935

Intermediate Shaft..

Post by Hannah1935 »

Hello..First, how do I know where to install the gear..Will is going in only one way..I'm using a MSD High Output without vacuum advance..
George, thanks for the help..
Duane...
Hello..I have a 1935 Tudor Ford Slant back Sedan...My hobbies are Stromberg 97s and intakes manifolds..
George

Post by George »

The intermediate shaft goes between the oil pump & the distributor. after the crank, cam, & timing gears are installed drop the IS down the opening for the dist, it will engage the teeth on the cam & turn as it drops in. The alignment that I was talking about above will be with the gear in place, engaged with the cam. You can have oil pump in place, or if you have some help, you can try putting oil pump on while holding the IS, that's where having the valley cover off helps. When you get everything lined up, drop in the distributor.