341 fireflite in a 66 coronet?

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

spacechicken

341 fireflite in a 66 coronet?

Post by spacechicken »

i have a 1966 dodge coronet with a poly 318 and i just bought a desoto 341 fireflite hemi with a 4bbl intake! yay. and i intend on putting it in the dodge.just wondering what kinda things ill have to change to do the swap.iv heard i may have to change the steering box,thats doable i was just wondering if my motor mounts are going to be the same as the poly?is it possible to use my power steering box?the hemi has the adapter plate on the back so im pretty sure my auto trans will bolt right up.just wonedering if anyone out there has done such a swap and maybe have some over looked things i may have to do to accomplish the swap.thanks for any help.
George

Post by George »

Adaptors were made for a lot of different trannys! You sure yours is for a sb Chr?
spacechicken

Post by spacechicken »

not totally positive but when i get it off ill take a picture of it and post it here.if its not are they hard to find?
desotohemibill

Post by desotohemibill »

I have a 65 Belvedere that had a poly 318 in it. I pulled the motor out for a 440 which is in it now. Just for kicks I stuck the 341 in it to see if it would fit. I already had a tranny adapter from Hot Heads to stick a 727 on the back of the 341 so I put it on. The car still had the original 904 in it. 4 of the tranny bolts already line up. The adapter is nessessary to line up the dowel pins. The adapter is 7/8" thick and put the motor mounts in the right location since the hemi is about 7/8" shorter than the 318. I used the motor mounts from the old 318 onto the 341 and they lined up perfectly. Your biggest headache may be getting your exhaust pipes around the steering box. The 341 is now in a my 67 Valaint. We had to raise the motor to clear the steering box. This included cutting out the tranny tunnel and patching it back in place. We moved the motor up about 1". Would really like a photo or two of your project. Sounds really cool. Bill :D
I am always looking for early hemi info and willing to give some to those not yet schooled in these old engines. I have a small machine shop and am currently gathering material for a small foundry. Hope to make custom parts for the old hemis.
charlie

Re: 341 fireflite in a 66 coronet?

Post by charlie »

my name is MOPAR CHARLIE, I specialize in early hemi swaps for the B-E BODY MOPARS, I SELL MOTOR MOUNTS FOR YOUR SWAP, AS WELL AS A OTHE PARTS YOU ARE GOING TO NEED

Please call me @ 727-271-5068

Mopar Charlie
earlyhemibill

Re: 341 fireflite in a 66 coronet?

Post by earlyhemibill »

How is that 341 swap working out for ya?