manifold for the raised block Desoto MAJOR UPDATE

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

38 mopar_fan

manifold for the raised block Desoto MAJOR UPDATE

Post by 38 mopar_fan »

Hi guys, commissioned a talented pattern maker to work with me to build a manifold for the raised block Desoto. I tried to attach a couple of photos to show progress. it has a removable top for three two but we will have a single four and a two four top available also.

the manifold is tall but the finished one will sit at approximately the height of the distributor cap with the Carb mounting above that. The runners angle into the ports nicely.

The water outlet comes out the front with a bypass just behind the thermostat to pick up the original water pump bypass. Vacuum ports will be just under the back of the manifold.

Just adding the finishing touches now and should be ready to get the first one cast early November. Will get them machined and hopefully ready to run one up by the end of November

I will be trying to sell a few to recover the cost of development but I'm not looking for cash until they are available. Not sure of the final price will have a better idea when the final machining is done.

Please let me know what you think and if you are interested in one, will be cast in limited numbers as cash and demand dictates

Cheers

Peter
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

If I were doing it (and this is just me), I would think about making the flange with enough material so that it could be machined and drilled for either the Desoto pattern or Dodge pattern. Even with the difference in bore spacing, with thick enough runners, it could be ported to match whatever application. my .02
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
DHEMI

Post by DHEMI »

Saw the pic's,looks good.I like the way you did the thermostat.However,I just don't like T/R manifolds with 90 degree turns.Just my opinion,but I understand why you did it this way.I am glad you did it,and wish you well!!
38 mopar_fan

Post by 38 mopar_fan »

Thanks for the comments guys
TrWaters

Re: manifold for the raised block Desoto

Post by TrWaters »

For those of you who dont visit the H.A.M.B. board, I'll repost here.

Pick any of the following: COOL. WOW. AWESOME. And thats just the beginning.

I just received one of Peter's Desoto raised block intakes for review. Let me say straight up..... you guys are going to be VERY pleased. This intake is a first class part....from design to casting.

Design
1: Peter took the time to incorporate the thermostat housing as well as a bypass hose port. This in itself will save everyone a ton of time and money trying to get the water in and out.

2: Interchangable tops are nothing new, but Peter took the time and effort to make them available for his intake. The 3 tops available should satisfy anyones needs. If not, its quite easy to design your own top plate.

3: I dont know how to classify the height of this intake, other than "just right". It has raised runners, but should still fit under most hoods without problems.

Casting
1: Top notch mold and casting. This is NOT an amateur undertaking. The base weighs approximately 11 pounds. The casting is equal to, or exceeds any cast intake on the market. Period.

Please feel free to ask questions. I'll try to answer about the intake the best that I can. I am sure Peter will correct me if I am mistaken.

Peter will keep you updated as to "WHEN" and "HOW MUCH".

I will have this intake at my Carlisle booth in July. Those attending will see first hand what a great job Peter has done.

Re: manifold for the raised block Desoto MAJOR UPDATE

Post by mart »

Sound's great! Where can we see some pics of it??!!

mart
========================================
38 mopar_fan wrote:Hi guys, commissioned a talented pattern maker to work with me to build a manifold for the raised block Desoto. I tried to attach a couple of photos to show progress. it has a removable top for three two but we will have a single four and a two four top available also.

the manifold is tall but the finished one will sit at approximately the height of the distributor cap with the Carb mounting above that. The runners angle into the ports nicely.

The water outlet comes out the front with a bypass just behind the thermostat to pick up the original water pump bypass. Vacuum ports will be just under the back of the manifold.

Just adding the finishing touches now and should be ready to get the first one cast early November. Will get them machined and hopefully ready to run one up by the end of November

I will be trying to sell a few to recover the cost of development but I'm not looking for cash until they are available. Not sure of the final price will have a better idea when the final machining is done.

Please let me know what you think and if you are interested in one, will be cast in limited numbers as cash and demand dictates

Cheers

Peter
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

There are pictures of it here :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 19043&rd=1

also the full story and dyno results here:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/show ... esoto+hemi
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
speedicusmaximus

Post by speedicusmaximus »

Hhmmmm ? Me thinks you could get a blower on there too !
Mike :D :P :wink:
Beep ! Beep !
38 mopar_fan

Post by 38 mopar_fan »

speedicusmaximus wrote:Hhmmmm ? Me thinks you could get a blower on there too !
Mike :D :P :wink:
Hi, yeah just doing the planning and preliminary work to get a blower on the manifold. Just sent off two manifolds to the UK and one to Canada so awaiting comments back from the guys.

Cheers

Peter
mopar-man

Post by mopar-man »

I am intrested in purchasing the manifold with 2 tops (1x4bbl & 2x4 bbl) for my 330 Hemi,how can I do this? Thanks
38 mopar_fan

Post by 38 mopar_fan »

Go the First blower manidold completed and just about to sell another one
Still doing the normal manifolds and about to do a low block Desoto hemi one

Cheers

Peter