315-325 Dodge Hemi questions????

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

hemmi-gremmi

315-325 Dodge Hemi questions????

Post by hemmi-gremmi »

Hello.
I recently had to sell my 354 Hemi due to its size and fitting in my pro street Gremlin was way to much trouble. Ive been chatting briefly with a friend who said the 315 and 325 Dodge Hemi's are a lot smaller in size and I thought maybe I might give it a try.
Questions?
1. Are they smaller size wise and weight wise?
2. Are they real hard to find complete?
3. Do they make many aftermarket parts for em?
4. Can you get Headers, hi po cams, distributors and such?
5. Do they have the Holes in the valve covers? Gotta have the look. lol.
Anyone out here ever soup one up? What kinda performance are we talking? Is the dist on the front or back of the engine? Okay, I'll hush up 4 now. Thanks for any help. HG :D
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
scottm

Post by scottm »

Any clue if those early Dodge Hemis would fit in a Jeep?
The wife thinks it would be cool to create a "Hemi Jeep".

And by saying Jeep, I am talking about CJ5s and CJ7s.
TrWaters

Dodge hemis

Post by TrWaters »

The Dodge motors are smaller, but do have the same bellhousing pattern as the Chrysler hemis. With my adapter you c an mate to a 727, 904, 518 automatic or 833 four speed.
The problem with a Jeep transplant would be the transmission.
If you have questions on my adapter or any of my other products, feel free to email me.

TrWaters
Last edited by TrWaters on Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hemmi-gremmi

Early Hemi's

Post by hemmi-gremmi »

Hey.
So, would the 315-325's be any good for hot rodding? Or should I suck it up and get another 354? I had a 354, but decided against it because my engine bay was to small and the engine was to heavy, but Ive recently seen 331-392's in everything from VW's to Datsuns to small foreign jobbies. Ive got a Gremlin that Im dying to put one in, but I got scared off. Im going to make it a go if I can this time. Thanks for any help. Rod
centerline

Post by centerline »

To be brutally honest the little Dodge hemis are great "street rod" motors. They look really good sitting between the frame rails of a Deuce roadster or '29 Model A dressed out in three duces and a bunch of chrome but they will not produce the kind of power a pro-street car wants. A good SBC will produce a lot more HP for a lot less money.

If you want power go for the 354 or 392. I think I told you once on another board that early Chrysler hemis are no wider than a SBC with headers so if you can fit a 350 with headers in between your fenders you can fit an early 331-392. Keep in mind that these motors made their power through torque and not high RPM's so don't expect to reliably wind one up to 6000 without spending a lot of money (several thousand dollars) on aftermarket valve train parts.

Bottom line is if you just want to look good with 250-300 hp go with the little Dodge. If you want pro-street power go with one of the larger Chrysler motors. Either way you're going to need deep pockets. Class doesn't come cheap.
hemmi-gremmi

RE:

Post by hemmi-gremmi »

You said it there Centerline.
I'll find another 354 to drop in. Money means nothing compared to being dissapointed with a choice in motors. HG