'36 DeSoto coupe/new Hemi

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

jevka

'36 DeSoto coupe/new Hemi

Post by jevka »

greetings...i have a customer who recently picked up a '36 DeSoto coupe. he would like to put a new Hemi in it, along with a six speed manual transmission, (i think the six speed is overkill, but it's his money). does anyone have any ideas on which Hemi would or should go in this beast? also, any ideas on which six speed, if any, would be a good fit?
thanks!
centerline

Post by centerline »

By new hemi I'm assuming you are not talking about the new 5.7 Hemis and you really mean one of Chryslers early hemis. If you are talking about the 5.7 I'd suggest you go talk to your local Dodge dealer. He can order you one.

However, if it were my DeSoto I'd install one of the 56-57 330,341, or 345 DeSoto hemis. Adaptors are available for both Mopar and GM standard transmissions and all necessary rebuild parts can be had from a number of vendors on the web. You can still find dual quad manifolds for these motors although they are pretty rare and expensive and 4 bbl. manifolds can be found with a little looking. You can even buy new mechanical fuel injection systems (that can be converted to electronic if you have deep pockets) if that's the route your customer wants to go. Once and a while you'll see 4 deuce manifolds on e-bay as well.

Hope this helps
jevka

hemi

Post by jevka »

centerline...
thanks for the input. the customer is interested in one of the 5.7 crate motors - per your input, i will suggest an older vintage. the mechanical injection system sounds interesting, as does the $$$ electronic injection; where can i get more detailed info on these systems?
thanks for your time.
centerline

Post by centerline »

The link below will take you to the Hilborn site where they sell a very nice EFI system for DeSoto hemis. They aren't cheap but they are nice. It's basically a converted version of their mechanical unit.

http://www.hilborninjection.com/category.asp?Id=157
TrWaters

new hemi/six speed

Post by TrWaters »

I have yet to see/hear what the 5.7 hemi has for a bellhousing bolt pattern. My understanding was that it was different than current smallblocks. Now...if it was the same as the Viper...your question would be answered :lol:

TrWaters
Early Hemi Adapters