transmission interchange

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

rayu

transmission interchange

Post by rayu »

I talked to a trans repair shop today concerning the tranny swap between my hemi and a poly. After this conversation I think I may just stick to walking. I have a 56 Desoto Firedome that originally was backed by a 2 speed auto. I intend to put this into my 59 Coronet using the 3 speed auto that came in the car. Should this be a straightforward process? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks. Ray :roll:
George

Re: transmission interchange

Post by George »

All V8 (non BB)trannys through '62 interchange, as far as bolting up to the engine. Possibly a diffrence in linkage between the 56 & 59, don't know.
Hemi Rookie

Post by Hemi Rookie »

Does this mean all Chrysler, Dodge, etc or only the Desotos will bolt up? Are the later trannys much better, aluminum case, etc? Thanks.
George

Post by George »

ALL Mopar trannys for the hemi, hemi based poly & "A" Poly up to '61 will bolt on except the 51-3 long tail 331 chr hemis. there were both 2 & 3 speed iron case trannys (PF & TF) available before the change for '62, think '57 was 1st year for 3 spd.
Hemi Rookie

Post by Hemi Rookie »

Were these considered strong trannys? I have a lead on a three-speed that could go behind my 330 ci S-24 that we are targeting for 325 HP to go into my F-100. Can the rebuilders put in better clutches and shift kits, etc? Thanks. Gary
George

Post by George »

You seem to be spreading this around the Threads! in 57-8 TFs were used behind 392s, so they'll handle a 330 Desoto. However parts for the early trannys are getting real scarce, not to mention anyone experienced in working on them. Personally if you want an A-T I'd get a 392 to late model 727 adaptor from Quality Engineered Components & a SB 727. 70s-80s pick ups & vans are good sources.
Hemi Rookie

Post by Hemi Rookie »

Thanks George. Didn't mean to upset anyone. Just wasn't sure how messages get to people when there have been no posts for several years. I'll get it figured out. We have the Transmission Exchange in Portland, OR that has parts and knowledgeable techs for the old stuff. Not cheap, but they have been around since the 40's. Good source. Gary
Hemi Rookie

Post by Hemi Rookie »

I have decided to stay with the pre 1960 stuff and, therefore, purchased a TF tranny out of a 392 ci 57-58 Chrysler. When checking the fit it seems the bolt pattern on the TF bell housing does not match the adapter plate that goes between the 330 ci Desoto engine and former PF tranny. I could just use the bell housing from the old PF, but it was an air cooled tranny and has gynormous cooling vents which make it appear not very strong (if all else fails may just have someone weld in some patches to fill the vent holes). Was there a different bell housing for the TF's that went into the Desotos or was there a different adapter plate for each car line to mate up with the variations of these hemi's (Dodge, Desoto, Chrysler)? Thanks. Gary
George

Post by George »

there are various OEM adaptor plates over the years. Seems strange there would be varying bell patterns in the tranny. The '56, all divisions, has a different number adaptor the '57s, all divisions.
George

Post by George »

55-56 Chr., Desoto, & 55-56 & some '54 Dodges. Adaptor is casting # 1612344, part #1613713
George

Post by George »

The '56s were the last year for the 146 tooth ring gear(33-56). The 57 & up are 172 tooth & uses a different plate & use the modern starter.
Hemi Rookie

Post by Hemi Rookie »

Thanks George, I stumbled around the Internet and also talked with my new friend in the old Mopar business. He had the correct adapter plate (the same #1613713 you posted). It is 1 1/8" thick as compared to the much thinner 3/4" plate that carries the PF. It fits both the engine and the TF perfectly. Regarding the starter - Mine is a '56 330 ci engine and has the original flywheel. I should use the original starter on this flywheel with the new, thicker plate, right? I would change the starter only if I were to change the flywheel, right? Thanks for your help in getting all this figured out.

Found out those spark plug wire covers for the '55-56 Power Flite hemis are definitely in the rare category. I found a pair, but quite rough and very expensive. I have a guy who can restore them and yes, how else will it be known that this is actually a Desoto?
George

Post by George »

Yes, '56 flywheel needs the '56 starter & spacer, or use the '57 pieces. Get someone to paint Desoto on the covers? Or just tell them it's a 392. :-)
Hemi Rookie

Post by Hemi Rookie »

George, Yep, got a restorer (paints Coca Cola coolers, etc.) to do them for me. Guess there are vinyl stick on letters available as well. Think I will let him do them up professionally. So, some of this is coming together now. There are some chassis builders here that can help with the install on the F-100. Going to need some stiff front springs in this old rig due to heavy weight engine up front. The one thing that seems to be elusive thus far is the 3 x 2 intake. Apparently the Desoto was the ugly step-sister to the Red Rams and 392's. The manifold Peter Williamson was working on looked killer, but all of his posts just stopped. Are there any of these manifolds still around? Did he go into full production? With modern technology such as the 3-D printers it seems like getting a prototype to a foundry should not be all that difficult, especially if we could pre-sell 30-50 of them. Not an engineer, so maybe it is. What is your take on multi-carb manifolds for the Desoto? Seems like finding a 4-barrel intake isn't all that easy, even though the S-24's were supposed to come with them. Are people hoarding the few that might remain? Thanks. Gary
George

Post by George »

Hemi Rookie wrote:. There are some chassis builders here that can help with the install on the F-100. Going to need some stiff front springs in this old rig due to heavy weight engine up front. The one thing that seems to be elusive thus far is the 3 x 2 intake. Apparently the Desoto was the ugly step-sister to the Red Rams and 392's. The manifold Peter Williamson was working on looked killer, but all of his posts just stopped. Are there any of these manifolds still around? Did he go into full production? With modern technology such as the 3-D printers it seems like getting a prototype to a foundry should not be all that difficult, especially if we could pre-sell 30-50 of them. Not an engineer, so maybe it is. What is your take on multi-carb manifolds for the Desoto? Seems like finding a 4-barrel intake isn't all that easy, even though the S-24's were supposed to come with them. Are people hoarding the few that might remain? Thanks. Gary
depends, I put a 331 into my '60 Plym that had a /6 w/o changing the torsion bars out, 6s are a bit heavy. non 2 bl for any DeSoto is scarce, more so on the low deck. Might check with T R Waters, he was cutting 2 bl intakes & converting them to 4 bl depending on how pretty you want. Seem to think "Mopar Power" had to have a hundred (?) preorders for their new 318 Polly 4 bl intakes to go into production.
George

Post by George »

Weiand did make a 4X2 for the low deck but I'm sure it would be mega $ if you found one.