241/270 Hemi

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

ricky roadracer

241/270 Hemi

Post by ricky roadracer »

Hi peoples.
As a die hard superbike racer.. It was hard for me to go back to cars... But alas.. I'm getting older and starting to see the advantages of being able to drink coffee and listen to a stereo on the way to work. Windshield wipers during winter is a big plus too..... Anyways... I bought a 1956 Dodge Coronet to drive around... Its got the stock 270ci Poly in it, along with the 2 speed Powerflight tranny. I would LOVE to install a 241 or 270 Hemi into this car...
Is that possible? Can I bolt in the 241 or 270 Hemi in place of my poly? or can I simply install the hemi heads, and manifolds onto my existing 270 poly block?

Anyways thanks in advance... And if I can just "plop" the motor in there.. (That would rule!)
Anyone got one for sale, or trade? :D
1956_DeSoto

Good news on poly/hemi engines

Post by 1956_DeSoto »

Your 270 poly will accept 270 hemi heads without modification. But what's wrong with the poly, it's
a good engine and you don't see many very often :wink:

bg
JOHN/B

Post by JOHN/B »

I agree with 56-DeSoto,The poly IS A VERY GOOD MOTOR and gets about just as many ooohhhs and aaahhhs as the HEMI. And the new HEMI is alot like the poly.On your question,does your poly have the motor mount bolted on under the water pump? If so it might work................JB 8)
Any day above ground is a good day.