Need help identifing hemi

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

unbreakable

Need help identifing hemi

Post by unbreakable »

100_0487.jpg
Hi, new to the site. I found a 1957 dodge dumptruck , 700 series with a hemi and a five speed. I got the numbers behind the water pump and they are vt 350 1146. It has hemi heads, not poly, distributor in back and a 2 barrel carb. What engine is this? I would assume it will run like a dump truck, so are cams available to make it run more carlike? My plans for it are to go in my dodge 55 project truck. This engine will just need to push the truck around to car shows and local cruise nights, not looking to go racing or anything like that. What are your ideas? Here is a pic of the truck its going in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

Re: Need help identifing hemi

Post by George »

VT 350 is a 331 truck Hemi. Basically like the '54 car engine. the '54 4 bl car hemi intake should bolt right on. Don't know what year it is, if the heads have round ex ports you may want to look for newer heads. The '54 car heads bolt on, think the 55 331 & '56 354 heads will work with a locating dowel change. 392 heads won't work. The heads have fat stem sodium filled ex valves & both int & ex valves have rotators. replace valves & the ex valve guides. Timing may be by gears or timing chain. My understanding is if it came with gears you can't put a chain on it. Some gear equipped have 2 gears & some 3. Those with 2 the cam turns the opposite direction than normal. As far as cam is concerned order a new 354 cam but tell them it's for a 331(if the cam turns the right way!). You'll need new pistons, if overhauling it, stock are low probably around 7-7.5. Hopefully it came with the good flowing truck ex mans known as '4 bolts" for the number of bolts @ the outlet.
George

Post by George »

That truck looks like it needs a diesel! :D
scottm

Post by scottm »

That truck looks like it needs to be mine. :wink: