276 poor spark- 331 dist/ electronic, or rebuild

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Douglas Gregg

276 poor spark- 331 dist/ electronic, or rebuild

Post by Douglas Gregg »

Need help with a 6 Volt dual point autolite distributor 1AZ4002A, 9H757536 with worn bushings. The spark is poor, the timing bounces around, the points burn. Options:
1. buy a rebuilt distributor $300
2. buy a near new stationery engine dist from a 331 with only mechanical advance $40
3. Try to get Pertronics electronic ignition or other brand. Can't find one. Opinions seem to vary on reliability of Pertronics on 6 volts.
4. Get a high voltage and low impedance coil like a Flamethrower and put on one of the above.
5. Rebuild what I have. Need parts or a rebulder
6. None of the above- you have a better options?
HELP PLEASE!!!!

Doug
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

Sorry I dont have much to offer on this, other than the distributor shaft is longer on a 331 than a 276.

TrWaters
Douglas Gregg

Post by Douglas Gregg »

That is a bummer that the 331 distributor shaft is longer. That seemed like at least part of my best option is down the tubes. Any chance that it could be made to fit? I know that is a bit of a reach but if it were just a little bit, it might be worth it.
Doug
centerline

Post by centerline »

If the 331 distributor shaft is the same diameter as the 340-360 late model then all you have to do is contact HotHeads and pick up one of their adaptors.

The adaptor kit is just a sleeve with a couple of 1/8" dowel pins. All you have to do is cut a section of the shaft out, slide on the sleeve and drill a couple 1/8" holes through the sleeve and shaft and press in the dowel pins with a vice.

This kit is really made to adapt the 340 electronic distributor to early hemis. In that case the shaft has to be lengthened about a half inch, but the process would be exactly the same in your case to shorten the shaft. I did one this weekend and it took about an hour. Piece of cake.
aaronadb53

I can help [i think]

Post by aaronadb53 »

Here's what I did I have a 1955 Plymouth that I took the poly head off of and put some dodge super red ram hemi heads off of a 1953 dodge car they fit right over, also it had the dual point distributor which is hard to time so I did some digging in my dad's junk yard and pulled the distributor out of my dads old 1979 360 and the electronic ignition box and put it on my hemi [ if fit like a glove ] I couldn't believe that over 30 years later they were still using the same distributor. [I guess you get something right the first time, just leave it alone]. I hope that my experience can help you with your problem!!
these new hemis should get better gas mileage than that i have a 55 plymouth with a 241 hemi [all original] in it and it gets 28mpg 21 with a lead foot, also my mom has a 99 stratus 2.4L that only gets 23mpg
THAT'S JUST SAD!!!!