Help with 270 water pump...

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Dana

Help with 270 water pump...

Post by Dana »

I'm trying to rebuild a '55 Dodge 270 Hemi for my M-37 (I see someone else is trying the same thing!). I'm using most of the original parts, just cleaning and getting new bearings/rings, nothing bored/turned etc. I'm sure the original oil pump works, and I can get an electric fuel pump, but anyone have any ideas on the water pump? I know they have a tendency, due to their job, to rust and get glogged up. Can this old thing be 'rebuilt'? Is there another newer version that will work? (There's an adapter kit to use a modern small block chevy pump that might work if rebuilding the original one is a lost endeavor, but I'd rather use the original one.) Anyone have any ideas? I'd even be willing to send it to some place that rebuilds them. I'm hopeing I can rebuild everything else (engine and carb mainly, I had the heads re-done at a machine shop) but I don't know what to do with the old water pump. I can't even get the back off and I'm not sure how hard to try!! (Snapping the bolt heads off is not my idea of a fun time!)

Any suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated!!
THANKS!
Dana
Milford, NE
41hemi

Water pump

Post by 41hemi »

I have done some research to find seals and bearings for my Desoto water pump. Graingers has the seals that will work for my application. If you are not set up to install them yourself, a local machine shop should be able to help. Send me a private message if you need help looking up the parts in Graingers catalog . Al
phil

Post by phil »

After searching everywhere with no luck i pulled my stock 270 waterpump apart and have replaced my waterpump bearing and seals , i used a sidevalve ford waterpump seal as they are ecactly the same as the dodge seal only the shaft dia is smaller , i machined the shaft dia down from 5/8'' to 1/2 '' to suit the new seal , i then resleved the impeller down to 1/2 '' press them back together to get the correct pressure contact on the seal to body and ive have had absolutly no leaks whatsoever , hope this helps
Moparlee

Post by Moparlee »

Parr in Jasper, MO rebuilds water pumps. They wanted 34 dollars to do my 392 water pump. Phone number is 1-800-658-1875. Hope this helps.
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
dean111

water pump

Post by dean111 »

Go to www.rockauto.com/ they show that they have a water pump the 270 Dodge. For around $39.00.
hesspower1

water pump

Post by hesspower1 »

Hot heads.com has adpters to small block chev. Check them out $37.95. Hope this helps. HESSPOWER.
Donand E Hesspower....