After Market Intakes

Discussion of the Early Dodge / DeSoto HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

gassercoupe

After Market Intakes

Post by gassercoupe »

This is going to sound like a BS question, but it's not.

I do aluminum casting as a hobby and I have always liked the baby hemi.
Do you think that if a guy were to start making good modern intakes for the Dodge and Desoto would they sell?

What configuration do you want? Single four, dual four?

I figured that (if it happens) that I would sell them at car shows and rod runs so that if the people like it they will buy if not then walk away. None of this buying some thing you've never seen before.

I'm just trying to find a way of surviving retirement, and hot rods are a lot more fun than golf. Plus maybe seeing some thing I made on some ones hot rod will feel real good.

John P
krooser

early intakes

Post by krooser »

The Dodge works well with a single four barrel...the best would be a Holley/Edelbrock carb bolt pattern. I've seen a few Offy's with the old WCFB pattern but an a adaptor is needed (I use one on a Nailhead). I'd buy one (or two). The Weiand 3X2 is still made but a single four is easier.
China...Great Food...Crappy Tools
firedome_rog

Post by firedome_rog »

Yes ,I think that they would both sell. It is really hard to find either one for a DeSoto Hemi. And if you can find one they usually have a crack in the exhaust crossover.
Texas Rog

Needed in marketplace

Post by Texas Rog »

I would buy two at least. Pls reply. Willing to prototype.

241 / 270 Dodge - Single four
gassercoupe

Post by gassercoupe »

Hi and thanks for the responces.

There is not a major hurry as I don't retire untill spring.
But if you have a wish list or some drawings (autocad?) then email them to me at gassercoupe@yahoo.com

I've only cast one intake so far, it was a 4 duece cross ram for a 394 Olds using Holley Weber 2V's. It came out pretty good. I cast the car owners name in it and he thought it was great.

John Parrish
Texas Rog

Breathe, Baby Hemi, Breathe!!

Post by Texas Rog »

Sounds interesting. I don't have any drawings, but I would be interested in talking this thru. Sometimes the best biz opps come from needing to build something yourself.

I can build the 3x2 setup, but prefer a simpler 4x1.

Let's goto PM and chat some more about this.

Thanks,
SPOOLED UP

Post by SPOOLED UP »

This sounds great. Looking for something for the DeSoto 330c.i.
How about something to go fuel injected or throttle body? A four
barrel intake with holley or carter bolt pattern would work to.
35 Dodge P.U. ( Soon to be Hemi powered! )
ANDY241

Dodge/ DeSoto intake

Post by ANDY241 »

Would like single four for the low deck Dodge. A modern 180 high-rise would wake up these engines! Would also love to be able to buy the old Crager/Offy 0401 trans addapter for all the short bell-housing engines to the early Ford thans. I use one with a flathead to chevy adapter to get early Ford clutch linkage in my 32 Ford.
ANDY241

Dodge intake manifold

Post by ANDY241 »

I had a thought that a good manifold for the 241/270 could also be used on the 315/325 by using spacer plates like are used when 354 heads are used on 392's. It is not done now because the are no good manifolds for the small engines!
moparmac

manifolds

Post by moparmac »

I am also interested in casting many items & manifolds. I have an idea to talk to you about on casting for Dodge, Desoto manifolds. And would like some of your advice & help. Please contact me. Thanks Mac :D
IndustrialHemiGuy

Post by IndustrialHemiGuy »

I would be interested in a holly/eddelbrock single 4bbl with cast in bosses next to the cylinder heads so I could put in fuel injectors ,to fit on the desoto 291 hemi . Any idea what one of these would sell for?? Thanx Dean
dodgedifferent2

354 hemi intake

Post by dodgedifferent2 »

I am just new at this but i have a 354 hemi truck engine and i cannot find or see anywhere where somebody makes aftermarket intake manifolds with the fuel injection already put into the manifold this would help alot if you could find these around it may be a good idea but i may be one in a million that is thinking about using this type of manifold my other ideas is using a supercharger but i am still in the planning stages thanks
RoadMaster

New Manifolds

Post by RoadMaster »

Count me in as being interested in a single 4bbl manifold for the tall block late DeSoto hemis that would accept a modern carb. I'm in the market RIGHT NOW.
Thanks.
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
panic

New manifold

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
joshchase

291 Desoto Hemi Intake

Post by joshchase »

I really need a 291 Desoto Hemi 2x4 or regular 4 barrel intake that would accept a modern carb. I searched all over and cannot find any 291 hemi performance intakes. How much would it cost for you to make me one? I need one ASAP. Please email me @ joshchase667@hotmail.com

Thanks
Josh Chase
1956_DeSoto

Single plane vs Dual plane intake manifolds

Post by 1956_DeSoto »

I understand dual plane provides better idle and low end torque, desirable qualities in a street engine.

I have a spare 330 single quad intake to pattern from and I know someone in the casting business. I will take this heavy hunk of iron to him for an evaluation.

So, what is the status of this discussion? Is John P still around?

I could mold the passageways using silicon. Same with the plenum. This is getting interestng.

Comments anybody?

bg
cudatoo

got a great idea for you

Post by cudatoo »

consider this: one bottom (runners) multable top's . ez to cast and unlimited potential single 4 or nunbolt the top and drop dual 4's on.
Moparlee

intakes

Post by Moparlee »

Did anybody get around to making them? I would like one for my short deck Dodge Hemi.
392 Hemi
354 cracked and needs a sleeve
241 or 270 the only running one I have
340/E-brock heads/six-pack/4-speed/mini tubed/spool-64 Valiant
Kreepea

Post by Kreepea »

I'm new to the forum. I live in Jacksonville, NC. I have a '25 Dodge Brothers truck with a 270 Hemi outfitted with a Crower intake manifold and six Holley 2100 carburetors. I'd be interested in a manifold that accepts six Rochester 2bbl carburetors.
dean111

casting

Post by dean111 »

How about casting timing chain housing and water pump housings.
I would like to have both of these in a rough casting so I can finish
machining.
originalwirehead

DeSoto 330,341,345 intakes

Post by originalwirehead »

I havent seen any, but I'm no expert either. Looking to price a dual 4bbl intake that accepts newer carbs for the early DeSoto hemi's. I think these engines are considered tall deck, FireFlight. There seems to be some practical update to the thermostat housing thats much desired. Does anybody know of any current manufacturers producing dual quad intakes for the 341 tall deck block?

Thanks,
Mike
reverendcolin

intakes

Post by reverendcolin »

I take it nothing happened with the 4 barrel manifolds for Desotos. I just picked up a 55 and would love to have a 4 barrel.
Amen,
Reverend Colin
originalwirehead

57 DeSoto Adventurer dual carb intake $1200.00!!!

Post by originalwirehead »

Heres a factory 4BBL intake that sold for $29.95http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4563676392

But heres the bad news. I saw on some chat somewhere dual carb intakes could be found for $5-$6 hundred. This one just sold for $1200.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4563037588
Almost made my eyes pop out!

I guess If I want to build this engine properly, I need to budget double the price of what I intended to pay.
LordMaximo

Re: After Market Intakes

Post by LordMaximo »

:D Count me in to!
I have a 54 Desoto 276 CI Hemi and I have been looking for a good set-up for the top. How about an intake with bungs for a fuel injection set-up? That is my goal in the near future. Other wise I would like a 4 bb or 3 x 2. That would work too, anything is better then an old cast iron single deuce.
It would add some competition to the other big houses of iron. Go for it and count me in for a couple or three set ups.

Edgel Gillespie
Roy, Utah :wink:
'34 Ford Truck Roadster
'54 Desoto 276 CI Hemi