New member's 66' HEMI Coronet Convertable

2nd Gen HEMI projects and products.

Moderator: scottm

hemiragtop

New member's 66' HEMI Coronet Convertable

Post by hemiragtop »

One of the biggest "bucket list" items for me was to own a HEMI B body convertible. I bought a nice 66' Coronet Convertible, Blue on Blue, with a White top, 273, 904 on the column and bench seat from an older couple. I was a LONG way from my goal!
I started with a K frame from a GTX with sway bar tabs on the lower control arms. I finished it with parts from "Firm Feel". Then I found a "Mega" block Siamese bore, 4.5" Callies billet crank, Manley rods, Diamond pistons, etc. It had been machined years ago by Butch at Diamond Elkins but never assembled and run. I finished it with MP aluminum heads, Charlie's 8qt pan with swinging pick up, 246/254 @ .050 street roller with .600 lift, Stage V intake with two 750 Hollys and hid it all with a Classic Haulage "Chrome Dome" air cleaner. It dynoed at 635 HP @ 5,900 rpm with over 640 ft. lb. of torque, just what a heavy street car needed!
I had a 727 built with lots of A&A parts, added a GV overdrive and a 3.54 gear Dana.
While I was doing this, I stripped the body to bare metal and had it painted Black. I changed the steering column, added a console, buckets and had the interior done in Red.
I started assembly in 09' finished the car in 2012 and entered it in the "Pigeon Forge Rod Run". It has won 6 top 25s and an ultimate 5, presented by Corney Hanson of Powerblock TV.
I drive the car a lot now, it is an absolute blast to hit passing gear @ 75 mph and have the car try to tear you out of the seat! The car was assembled in my basement, so no high $ build here, just a lot of time and still a lot of money. But it was worth all of it!
DSCN0565-001.JPG
DSCN0565-001.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scottm

Re: New member's 66' HEMI Coronet Convertable

Post by scottm »

That's a sweet HEMI. Love the color combo. Thanks for sharing!