1956 Matthews Martinique with twin 331 chrysler marine hemis

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Matthews56

1956 Matthews Martinique with twin 331 chrysler marine hemis

Post by Matthews56 »

Thought I would introduce myself on this forum...this past June I purchased a 1956 Matthews Martinique that is powered by the original Chrysler M-45-S 331 Chrysler marine hemis. The engines were rebuilt from the crankshaft up in 2000 and have just over 110 hours on them. Some of the mods to the engines were a "Hot Heads" single 4bbl intake Edlebrock "Performer" series carb and electronic ignition.

So far I have been very pleased with the smooth and reliable power delivery they have provided...and what an exhaust note! :D

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

Re: 1956 Matthews Martinique with twin 331 chrysler marine hemis

Post by George »

hopefully they have a closed cooling system if you are in salt water...
1956twin331s

Post by 1956twin331s »

Here is a 1956 copy of a Chris Craft Constellation,it has twin331 M45s engines,been in the water for 61 years!
I wish for someone to give me some contacts for carburetor and ignition upgrades!
This is in StMartin Parish Louisiana,where the boat lives, it was built in New Orleans Louisiana in 1956, at a small boat yard not far from where Higgins landing craft were built. I have a very distant faint memory of the yard,we went back for work till it closed in the 60's,possibly I saw Mr. Higgins there a few times. Only because I saw a picture of him in later life when the museum opened in New Orleans?
I was born in 1958 thus been with the boat from the begining. Its all on my back to take care of it!
It runs but it is not as pretty anymore, life chores spread me thin.
Any upgrade help would be nice.
All work, is done by me with help from my brother. I have changed boards and all wood boat pains are felt.
Thanks
Wade
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
George

Post by George »

You can upgrade the ignition by going to an electronic dizzy for the 318/340. either by cutting & extending the dizzy shaft or installing a longer intermediate shaft. reportedly you can install a shat ot of either a B or RB big block in the LA dizzy, one is the right length. Guy never came back to say which one was the right length. What is your carb set up?
George

Post by George »

Assuming one is counter rotating, does the dizzys in both engines turn clock wise or different directions?
1956twin331s

Post by 1956twin331s »

Thanks George,yes they are counter rotating,facing transome ,port is left hand stab right hand. So I can make a shaft for the distributors ,I have a machine shop. So I need the ignition module from a Chrysler car ,are they all the same?
Would it be an ignition system from the 70's cars I assume?
Thank you for the info I feel like I am getting somewhere, but I have these questions now.
Thank you very much.
So what's the update on your Boat.
A few years ago I bought on eBay two 19x19 Michigan stars ,they came from a 38 foot Mathews in Ohio!
George

Post by George »

You can get the whole ignition system (dizzy, boxes, wiring) off a 73 through some time in the 80s Mopar or get a kit from Mopar performance. If one of the dizzys turns counter clock wise either the B or RB dizzy (don't know which) should bolt in.
What carb set up you have? 4 bl or 2X1?
1956twin331s

Post by 1956twin331s »

2x1 needs kits,really they need accelerator cups or pistons, WHERE. .? Do I find kits?
1956twin331s

Post by 1956twin331s »

And what is B or RB mean in the reference of distributors??
George

Post by George »

RB means Raised Block, the deck height was raised to get a longer stroke, this increased the distance the dizzy shaft has to go to get to the int shaft vs the original B block. Chr made engines in both B & RB blocks. B 350, 361, 383 (except in '59), 400 RB '59 383, 413,426 (Wedge & Hemi), 440. reportedly, but not comfirmed, is the dizzy shaft on one or the other is right for the 331. the big block dizzys turn the wrong way so you could swap the shaft into the 318/340 LA Dizzy if this is the case ( and both of yours turn clockwise. No idea on carb kits. Have you check E Bay & all of the usual parts strores, Hemmings for antique carb guys ect? There is a Thread here somewhere where a guy used 2 bl to 1 bl adaptors to put 2GC GM carbs on a 1X2 truck intake. If you have room below deck.
1956twin331s

Post by 1956twin331s »

Well port turns left stab turns right so distributors also must turn counter, yet in the book they show same rotation!
The book HAS TO BE WRONG. I will go tomorrow and check for sure.
I got the running well , well enough for the little bit it moves.
Points and carb are so simple since I have been at it since the begining.
A wood boat is just overwhelming and you can't even give it a way no one wants ,or is capable?
Page 157 of the book, have a look at the firing order and rotation!
George

Post by George »

Some engines (truck/marine?) have 3 gears instead of the normal timing chain resulting in the dizzy turning the normal direction
George

Post by George »

What book?
1956twin331s

Post by 1956twin331s »

THE BOOK,,, The Chrysler manual I will take a picture of it and post. Its the blue and yellow manual with the engine pictured on the front.
I have had that book since day one its 61 years old like the boat.
OH AND THE BOOK IS CORRECT (I AM DUMB). Both dists turn clock wise. ( I AM DUMB TO SAY THE BOOK IS WRONG)
So I guess the cam gear is cut the opposite way on one and the dist bottom gear is to match ,on the opposite rotating engine.
I think a single is a left hand?
I will look in The BOOK. And try to find the gears?
I have those twin 331's running so smooth, I have gone back in time to my childhood.
I was in diapers on the boat there are pictures of that.
My dad sat me on the stb stringer right by the exhaust riser, while running the engines when I was very small.
I remember crying, little bastard , cry , but toughen up.
I guess I did,I saw there was no danger.
Now I just luv it I eat that up down in the engine room, my most favorite place in the world! That cuprinol, and mahogany smell, the most wonderful smell in the world,to me! The smell of wet exhaust!
I must take pictures with this iPad and post for George.
Wade B .
George

Post by George »

sounds like a great story! IF they make a Pertronix for your dist. you could try that. Or you'll have to lengthen the dist shaft (or the swap shaft if that works) or lengthen the Int shaft. The gears might be cut reverse, but there's a good possibility of 3 timing gears instead of 2 & a chain. 3 gears would keep the dist. turning the right way on the reverse engine.
1956twin331s

Post by 1956twin331s »

Hey George ,where are you on your boat?
Mine is running well now,haven’t moved it,next move is slowly,500 feet down the canal, to ramp and pull out and check.