Question about marine Hemi's

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

AJsDUSTER

Question about marine Hemi's

Post by AJsDUSTER »

My friend has a 1958 Chris Craft 'Sedan' 35' with twin Hemi's. He wanted to know what C.I.D they were. I could only tell him he had a choice of three: 331, 354, 392. How can he tell which size they are?
George

marine hemi

Post by George »

There will be a casting # on block between the head & valley cover on pas. side toward the back. There is a code stamped on a flat just in front of valley pan on pas. side, sometimes they're readable sometimes not. Post the #s!
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

354s
XXLCH

Which Marine Hemi is it

Post by XXLCH »

According to http://www.classichemi.com
M45 S3 is 354 cu in w/225 horse @ 3800 rpm
M45 SP is 331 cu in w/250 horse @ 4400 rpm
M45 SP3 is 354 cu in w/275 horse @ 4400 rpm

The serial plate is (held by 4 rivets), at the distributor end, just below the head on dist side on the 331 engines I'm trying to buy.

Looking at these 2 engines,
M45 S is a 331 cu in w/ 200 horse @ 3800 rpm

According to some Chris Craft records on CD, 331's and 354's were an option on a 1960 33 foot Fisherman/sport cruiser. In 1954 only 331's were available obviously.

Don't see any numbers (looked real hard) stamped on block where cars have serial numbers (on top of block, ahead of valley cover, on the narrow flat between heads)

Did see the 4 letters DPCD on block and tranny like this.

DP
CD
xxlch
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

58CC = 354 without all the additional stuff. I answered this for the person on several different websites.
XXLCH

Which Marine Hemi is it

Post by XXLCH »

Maybe a misprint, but looking at a CC Propeller Wheel Spec chart, in 1957 on a 38 foot Corsair an engine option was the 225 horsepower Chrysler, which means 354 cube, 2x1 barrels.

In the same year on a 38 foot Fisherman, an option was either the 250 horsepower Chrysler, or the 275 horsepower Chrysler. The 250 horsepower was a 331 w/ dual quads (according to "The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual" by Ron Ceridono). The 275 was a 354 w/ dual quads. But I'd think once the 354 was in Marine config 331's were history. Probably a misprint.

According to the same chart, all the smaller CC's only had the 275 horse option.

This info is on a CD from http://www.cafepress.com. Tons of CC info (engines etc), and complete service manual for M45 S engine.

PS-I'll buy a summers worth of gas (I assume you don't use it to commute, pleasure only) for anyone who will allow me the privilege of riding in a single engine Chrysler powered boat, say a short (engine warm up) leisurely no stress cruise. Includes northeast to North Carolina

rfabrett@rochester.rr.com
Last edited by XXLCH on Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxlch
Bailiesdad

Re: Which Marine Hemi is it

Post by Bailiesdad »

I'll buy a summers worth of gas (I assume you don't use it to commute, pleasure only) for anyone who will allow me the privilege of riding in a single engine Chrysler powered boat, say a short (engine warm up) leisurely no stress cruise. Includes northeast to North Carolina

Admin, delete any inappropriate info.[/quote]

You are on, I own THE ONLY 21' 1956 Chris Craft Capri SN CP 21-151 ever built with a 354 275 HP hemi, It now has a fresh Chrysler Marine hemi and uses VP purple fuel.

It has custom made 40 gal tank. I fill it up 2-3 times a month 6-8 months of the year. Easton or Cambridge MD is where I will take you out.

Bring your check book......I will have VP rep there for you to write the check, directly.
XXLCH

Marine Hemi fuel consumption

Post by XXLCH »

I've read that 0.50 lbs/horsepower/hour is typical for a Hemi (The Complete Chrysler Hemi Engine Manual??). I've read that 0.55-0.60 is typical for internal combustion engines in general (Airplane Design Manual by Frederick Teichmann). So does the Hemi design add efficiency in fuel burn?

I use 80 gallons a season 8) in my chevy ( :( ) 350 (250 horse) powered 24 foot cabin cruiser. If above is true a hemi could see me burn 2 gallons less an hour when running at rated power!!!

Put another way, if a guy puts 500 gallons through a 275 horse 354 he could run at full power for 21.8 hours (using 6 pounds per gallon at the 0.5 pound per horse per hour burn rate). In another make of engine he'd get maybe 19.8 hours at full power on the same 500 gallons; 2 hours less running time.

None of us uses full power continually, but the Hemi probably still maintains an efficiency advantage at say 70% power.

I'm confident in saying a marine Hemi has twice the class of any other engine. No way did I open my mouth wide enough for both feet on this one.

I'd be happy to drop 150 gallons into anyone's tank who could take me for an easy low stress marine hemi ride, if that is possible...
xxlch
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Ok, when you get the VP Purple give me a call..........you will have to get 2 55s, 2 16s and 1- 10 gal drums... or 3 55s and I will pay for 15 gals.
XXLCH

Hemi's underway

Post by XXLCH »

Heaven on Earth has to be riding in Chrysler's and CC's best, mid-50's vintage.
3 55's sealed and delivered sounds like a great deal. Can't wait. Can't believe it!!
xxlch
Bailiesdad

Kids and computers

Post by Bailiesdad »

xxlch wrote:Heaven on Earth has to be riding in Chrysler's and CC's best, mid-50's vintage.
3 55's sealed and delivered sounds like a great deal. Can't wait. Can't believe it!!
Great let me know when you order the fuel, I will check with the VP distributor to make sure it is on the way and set things up.

Kids and computers aren't they great. :wink:
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Guess the telephones are out up there. :roll: VP has not gotten the order called in yet. :lol:
budmspeeco

Question about marine hemis

Post by budmspeeco »

Just wondering if xxlch is an ex harley sportster xlch rider. I have a '63 xlch I am getting up to ride.
'48 anglia