industrial head casting numbers

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

four-thirteen

industrial head casting numbers

Post by four-thirteen »

Hello all, I just picked up a new toy: Image

It's a 600 amp hobart welder, powered by a 56A industrial hemi. It is going to need a bit of work before i can fire it up, which i am working on now. I have a question about the heads. I pulled a valve cover off yesterday, to check the head casting numbers. The number on the head was 1677441-1, which i can't find on any casting number lists i've found. They look like passenger car heads, with the smaller valve stems, no rotators, and no extra accessory pads on the front. Does anyone know what the deal is with these heads? Mainly, my plan is to pull the hemi off the welder, and use it in one of my model A's. The motor is supposed to run good, with few hours on it, and it does look the part, but I may pull the heads and inspect everything before i use it, and maybe go through the heads depending on how they look. My real question is, are these heads good for perfomance use, how big are the ports, and how big are the valves? Thanks, David
George

ind head #

Post by George »

My book shows standard 354 car heads. Ind. engines are set up to be off or run at a set RPM. You'll need to regrind/replace cam w/automotive cam.
392heminut

Post by 392heminut »

I've got a pair of those heads. The stock valve sizes are 1.94 intakes and 1.75 exhaust. They're the same as passenger car 354 heads.
Owner of the Poor Man's Hemi Cuda
four-thirteen

Post by four-thirteen »

Thanks for the information guys, this is what i wanted to know. Is there a better reference for casting numbers than the Tex Smith hemi book?

This motor is really shaping up to be what i was looking for. Any ideas on compression for this motor? and would it have hardened valve seats? Thanks, David
George

ind casting #

Post by George »

for car engines "Ultimate American V8 Engine Data Book 49-74" by Peter Sessler has casting # for blocks, heads, intakes & exhaust manifolds. Comp. ratios for tuck engines are U/A. Hardend valves/seats. There is a lot of conflicting info on this subject, even on car engines. I've read/heard that... 51-53s are the only ones that have them, 55s are the only ones that have them, 55s are the only ones that don't have them. It has also been said that Chrysler either installed hardend valves/seats or just machined the head itself & stuck in the valves w/out actual seats. supposedly if the head has seats they'r hardend. The only thing I can say for shure is my 55 331 has OEM hardend valves/seats. I'd take the heads to the machinist and have him check them.