Did they make a 426 Industrial Hemi

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

2barracudas6769

Did they make a 426 Industrial Hemi

Post by 2barracudas6769 »

I was told by a guy that he had two 426 industrial hemi's that he would sell me. Iasked him if he was sure they were 426 hemi's and he said they say 426 on the block. I want to know if they made an industrial hemi out of the 426. If so will it work in a car. Are the heads the same as the heads on the production 426 hemi. Please someone aswer my questions.
scottm

Post by scottm »

Check out this thread...

Industrial 426 HEMI
viewtopic.php?t=1229
2barracudas6769

I found one in a search engine

Post by 2barracudas6769 »

I found a search engine that said they put a 426 industrial hemi in an airplane. It was www.airliners.net.
mart

Re: Did they make a 426 Industrial Hemi

Post by mart »

[quote="2barracudas6769"]I was told by a guy that he had two 426 industrial hemi's that he would sell me.
=========================
No 426 Industrial Hemi's were ever made. The 426 Hemi was a high compression, high rpm, high horsepower, high dollar engine intended for race or (very) high performance street use only and would not have been suitable for any sort of "industrial" application! The confusion on the engines you mention might come from the fact that the 426 Hemis were *assembled* at Chryler's "marine and industrial" engine division plant and *may* have a tag on the block stating that. Despite that, the 426 Hemi was only ever sold over the counter in crates as a race engine, or installed in a very small number of "high performance" passenger cars.

mart
=======================
4xNut

Post by 4xNut »

I've personally never seen a Marine/Industrial 426 Hemi.
I have toyed with a marine 426 Wedge which had the 8 bolt flywheel flange on the crank. Not sure whether this was done at the factory, or someone swapped a hemi crank in. This engine was definetly not a passenger car Mill, no exhaust crossover, water-jacket exhaust manifolds, and reverse rotation.
'56 354 Hemi
'55 270 Super Red Ram
301 Marine/Industrial Hemi
mart

"8 bolt cranks" and other 426W marine variations

Post by mart »

4xNut wrote - "I 've personally never seen a Marine/Industrial 426 Hemi. I have toyed with a marine 426 Wedge which had the 8 bolt flywheel flange on the crank. Not sure whether this was done at the factory, or someone swapped a hemi crank in. This engine was definetly not a passenger car Mill, no exhaust crossover, water-jacket exhaust manifolds, and reverse rotation."

The water jacket exhaust manifold were common to all the marine engines from flathead and slant sixes, right up to the 440 six-pack wedge marine engines - both the factory Chrysler marine units and the various aftermarket "marineized" conversions. Likewise too with the right and matching left-hand rotation versions for use in twin engined boats. The 8 bolt crank flange was not unique to the 426 Hemi. Besides the RB block 426 Hemi and the Max-Wedge high-performance car engines, Chrysler also used 8 bolt crank flanges on the 'Series 3' 361 B block heavy-duty truck and industrial engines (3.35 inch stroke) and on the 'Series 3' 413 RB block (3.75 inch stroke) heavy-duty truck, industrial and marne engines as well. About the 426 wedge marine engines using 8 bolt cranks - that's not suprising. The 426W marine engine you mention could have been based on either a high performance, high horsepower "Max Wedge" car block or on a "low horspower-low rpm, but run forever and practically indestructable" 413, 'Series 3', heavy-duty truck or industrial engine. I've never personally seen a 'Series 3' 426 cubic inch engine - only the 413 cubic inch versions for truck, industrial and marine uses, but it wouldn't be at all surpising if Chrysler at some point also did a bored out, 426 cubic inch version of the 'Series 3' for heavy-duty marine use.
One quick way to spot the heavy-duty truck-industrial-marine 'Series 3' engine is that they all used a special front cover with a huge, raised-up water pump that bolted directly to the front of the cylinder heads. Some 'Series 3" marine versions might not have used the big truck type water pump, but the heads will have blocked off holes and mounting flanges cast into them for attaching the pump. Besides the heads being unique, if you tear into the engine, you'll also find special, 4 ring, low compression pistons and a two-gear gear drive for cam instead of a timing chain on the "Series 3 engines. Note to people building or restoring a 426 Hemi or a Max Wedge - if somebody offers you a "super rare Hemi or Max Wedge only", 3.75 in stroke, forged steel, 8 bolt crank - check the numbers before you buy -- it might merely be out of an old 413 Dodge or Fargo 10-ton dump-truck motor or from an irrigation pump!!!

mart

P.S. here are some 8 bolt Wedge crank numbers to look out or not look out for as the case may be. There are probably a few other numbers out there too but these are the more commonly found "8 bolt" Wedge crank numbers

Rare - RB block - 426 Max Wedge - 1964 - 3.75 inch stroke, forged steel, 8 bolt crank flange - #2463548

Common - RB block - Series 3-413 H.D. Truck- Industrial & H.D. marine - 1960 to 19?? - 3.75 inch stroke, forged steel, 8-bolt crank flange - #1521436

Common - RB block - Series 3 -413 H.D. Truck- Industrial & H.D. marine - 1960-1977 - 3.75 inch stroke, forged steel, 8 bolt crank flange - #1851436

Common- B block -Series 3-361 H.D Truck and Industrial - 1960 to 1978 - 3.35 inch stroke forged steel. 8-bolt crank - #2206157
=======================
chiefsteve

Post by chiefsteve »

Yes and no. I took one out of a CT900 in 1968 at a vocational school. Dodge trucks were made to order back then so it is anybodies guess as to what engine you got. It sat on a floor corner collecting dirt but it was replaced with a HT413. I have one of those HT's. It has an 8 bolt crank and a very heavy nodular iron block and an SAE#2 clutch housing and 14 inch clutch for a roadranger tranny. I'd say the housing and flywheel alone are 100 pounds. There are no numbers on the sides of the block only on the top rear. Heads are 2 inches taller and the oil pump has two filters and heat exchanger. It has cam gears rather than a chain. Pistons are compensated iron ring groove types with NO offset, with 3/32 rings factory number 1796, or 1272d. So if there are any 426 hemi's from trucks they will be harder to find than the trucks themselves and i'm sure long gone. The HT413 was a favorite probably because Mack was using them in their R400 as an EN414 but it was not tandem axle. HT is a great engine but only for pulling. You could always go to Stage IV Engineering and get a hemi conversion set for the heavy block and crank but they only have LY rods
johnny5

Post by johnny5 »

I've been told they were installed in Oliver combines but I've never actually seen one. That would be one cool thrashing machine though.
Robert Fallin

Post by Robert Fallin »

I dont think what I saw was a 426 Hemi but I know the US navy had a unit called the MB5 which was designed to put down lots of foam on runways. It had a pair of hemi engines . I remeber the engines had a oil type air cleaner. The two engines were mounted mid way the unit and outboard to the sides. The engines had no exhaust muffler! Im guessing these engines were a early small cubis inch daddy to the

Thanks..
Robert Fallin
chiefsteve

Post by chiefsteve »

Speaking of combines, that industrial stuff is really weird. I have seen 350 chevys in Jaguars but I remember seeing a 413 in a '72 Rolls Royce Corniche, it was an industrial motor