help with 331 IND20 and tranny

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

smitty1

help with 331 IND20 and tranny

Post by smitty1 »

I really need some help with my recently acquired 331 industrial. It is an early model (ind20) mounted on a trailer and has a large pumg attached to it that was used on a farm. It may have the extended block that I've heard about. What do I have to do to get a tranny hooked up to this motor. I'm desperate for help and places to look. Thanks, Tom
centerline

Post by centerline »

There will be no doubt if you have the extended block if you just look at the motor. If the top half of the bellhousing is actually part of the block then it is the extended block motor. If it looks like a normal block where the bellhousing bolts to the rear then its not.

Once you determine if it is or isn't an extended block go to PowerPlayHemi.com. Bob has several adaptors available for the normal block and also an adaptor for the extended block to Chevy 4 speed. I understand he is working on an adaptor for the Chevy automatic for the extended block as well but I don't think its out yet. TRWaters, PAW, and Wilcap also make adaptors but I don't believe they have one for the extended block motor. None of these are "cheap" by the way, but nothing to do with a hemi is inexpensive anyway.

Good luck.
TrWaters

extended block adapters

Post by TrWaters »

One of the problems with using an extended block with a modern trans is that, as far as I know, you still need to use the early hemi flywheel and starter. I have done a little work on designing an adapter to use an 833 behind the extended blocks using a late model flywheel and starter. I am still in the design stages. One of the big problems is that the starter bolts to the block.
I have talked with the new people running Wilcap, and they too had a chevy adapter in the works. It is my understanding that this is the same as PowerPlay's.(vise-versa, actually) I personally have never seen one, or have spoken to anyone who has had one.
There are still alot of non extended 331 blocks around, and to date I think finding another block is the way to go.

TrWaters
centerline

Post by centerline »

I completely agree that a standard block is the way to go. However sometimes you're stuck using an extended block. At least you can use a Chevy 4 speed and this system works very well. A good friend in Mass. has been running an extended block 331 (bored to 354) and Chevy 4 speed in his 34 Ford sedan ever since he built it about 37 years ago. He drives the daylights out if it (over 200K miles) and is currently on his third block. He uses a late 50's Offy adaptor (which I believe Wilcap was using as a pattern for their setup) and to the best of my knowledge runs the stock starter and flywheel. You may know him. Here's a pic of his car. (Hope this works) Image
TrWaters

Skip's ride

Post by TrWaters »

I talked with Skip at the Street Rod show this last fall in Essex, Vt. A very nice guy.
I know there still seams to be quite a few of the early extended block trans adapters out there for sale. With a little time and patience one could be converted as stated to use a latter trans. I am thinking I should get off line and get back to work on my design :)
I wasnt able to get Skip's card at the show. If you happen to have his email or address, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

TrWaters
centerline

Post by centerline »

I sent you his address through the e-mail address on your website.