NEED DISTRIBUTOR HELP FOR MY TWO M45S

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

atpaul

NEED DISTRIBUTOR HELP FOR MY TWO M45S

Post by atpaul »

My M45Ss came with the optional "shielded" Auto-Lite distributors #IBH 4001 UT (shielding was to prevent radio interference). My immediate problem is that the wires are at the end (way past) of their service life; the ceramic insulators are cracked/broken etc. The wires screw into the top of these distributors (dinosaurs among dinosaurs). Anybody with the M45S parts manual can see what I am talking about on page 14. It's also on page 44 of the maintenance manual supplement.

Does anybody know where I can get the regular distributors.
From there I think I have a lot more options for aftermarket caps/wires/elec ignit/etc.

I would appreciate the groups ideas.

Andy Paul
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

A couple of years ago I looked for 3-4 months for stock distributor parts and found one source for them.

The guy wanted 500 a distributor and 165 for the plug wire set.

He told me that they were probably the only remaining new ones from Chrysler he had purchased in late 70's.

The owner chose to go to MSD electronic units instead of the older parts.
atpaul

MSDs for M45S

Post by atpaul »

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting.

I purchased a MSD billet distributor for the 331, only problem is that the oil pump/distributor drive shaft is different for the automotive 331. Our Marine 331s have a ~3 inch longer stub shaft above the cam gear that drives our distributors.

Any clue as to how he got around that?

BTW if anyone needs a new MSD billet distributor and Blaster 2 coil, I can provide at discount (rats) !

Andy Paul
Norfolk, VA
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

Very simple, get a new intermediate shaft, for a dodge hemi truck, they are still sold and swap the gear onto it.... costs about 15-16 bucks