Modifying a marine crank for automotive application

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

MAW

Modifying a marine crank for automotive application

Post by MAW »

Hi all,

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate for having a marine 331 crank welded/machined to work in an automotive application? Or is it better to sell it off and just buy the proper core?

This was a reverse rotation engine so do the modifications also include the rear main seal surfaces?

Thanks, Mark
Bailiesdad

Re: Modifying a marine crank for automotive application

Post by Bailiesdad »

MAW wrote:Hi all,

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate for having a marine 331 crank welded/machined to work in an automotive application? Or is it better to sell it off and just buy the proper core?

This was a reverse rotation engine so do the modifications also include the rear main seal surfaces?

Thanks, Mark
This engine was labeled LH? If so,

Clean & Mag 40, 150 to weld the camshaft gear step, 110 to reweld the rear main surface and regrind, 75-90 to grind remainder, plug the snout hole with solid plug, and it is back to normal.

Used 331-354 cranks go for 150-250, ready to use.
MAW

Post by MAW »

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll put it on ebay or tie a rope on it and use it as an anchor for the ski boat :wink: .

Cheers, Mark
mart

Post by mart »

MAW wrote:Thanks for the info. Guess I'll put it on ebay or tie a rope on it and use it as an anchor for the ski boat :wink: .
Cheers, Mark
Stick it on ebay. Someone out their probably needs a marine crank for their boat. The oddball marine parts to a car guy who doesn't don't need em and/or can't use 'em, maybe just so much junk....but try and find some of that same marine stuff if you have a boat and do need it.
mart
==========================
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

"but try and find some of that same marine stuff if you have a boat and do need it. "

That is simple. I just walk out to the shed and grab the parts. Out of my stash.... :wink: