Convert auto Heemi to marine application

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

Dan Biby

Post by Dan Biby »

I see a lot about going from marine to auto but just wondering what would I need to do to a 331 auto hemi to make it a marine engine to replace a m45?
Bailiesdad

Re: Convert auto Heemi to marine application

Post by Bailiesdad »

Dan Biby wrote:I see a lot about going from marine to auto but just wondering what would I need to do to a 331 auto hemi to make it a marine engine to replace a m45?
I have a couple of spare M45 engines

If you want to convert a car or truck engine to Chrysler Marine engine it would require a complete core marine engine for the parts and a truck or early car engine block. Cost lots and lots and lots of money, also.
budmspeeco

Post by budmspeeco »

Look in the Hemi classifieds . I have all the stuff you need to build a marine engine , including new pistons, rings, bored block, pan, rebuilt heads, crank turned .010/.010 ,intake and the two single one barrel carbs. Also . I have the right or left cam. and other stuff I can't think of at 1:50 AM in the morning. You will need the massive bellhousing that goes on the front of the block etc. Buddy
'48 anglia
napabob

1958 392 HEMI Nicson hardware

Post by napabob »

I have been collecting marine parts for a 392 58C conversion for my project

http://www.banderlog.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2143

I am currently looking for a bell housing that will fit my 392 and receive a Borg Warner Velvet drive marine transmission 71C or 72C.
napabob
1958 392 HEMI original equipment for a
1963 Sanger Dragster v-drive boat
Bailiesdad

Re: 1958 392 HEMI Nicson hardware

Post by Bailiesdad »

napabob wrote:I have been collecting marine parts for a 392 58C conversion for my project

I am currently looking for a bell housing that will fit my 392 and receive a Borg Warner Velvet drive marine transmission 71C or 72C.
Install the flywheel on the crank flange using the adaptor, install the block plate and align the starter with the ring gear, purchase a real strong pressure plate and clutch disc (using Chevy parts are cheaper), get an input shaft from a vech for the spline count on the clutch disc, get the collar for the 71C input (do not use 72C it will not hold the power) mock up the collar with the input shaft, weld and have one machined, install 71C on the plate for the bellhousing. slide new adaptor shaft on trans input shaft, bolt together.

You now have the safest trans systems developed for a 392 blown flat bottom. If you hit something with the prop, the disc will fracture instead of breaking the bel, plate, or trans and is simple and cheap to replace. Free running, it acts as direct drive and you use the in out /reverse shifter as normal. :D

If you plan on running a lot of Boost use a small diameter flywheel and get a larger diameter starter drive gear to turn the beast over. Make sure you pin the ring gear so if it back fires while starting it breaks loose the ring gear instead of breaking other parts. :wink:

Alum flywheels used to cost me 275 each, Nicson setup was 500, crank adaptors were about 200 bucks, input shaft/collars would run 200 setup, used 71C were 1500-2K cluth/pp/disc were 300-500.

Neat way to get 200 MORE HP is to run a chiller under the blower.... :P remember its only a little more 8) .....
napabob

Bell housing

Post by napabob »

Bailiesdad,

Per site listed below:

http://www.tadiesels.com/borg_warner-inline.html

The 72C is rated for more horsepower, but is heavier.

I want to use an aluminum flywheel with a damper plate (Most of the items are shown on my restoration thread;

I have a Nicson bell housing and the Chrysler mid plate for my project, but I can not mount the velvet drive transmission to the Nicson bell housing. I have heard of bell housings made for the 392/Borg Werner transmission, I just need to keep looking.

Thanks for the instructions on the safest transmission system. I will keep it as an option.

Bob
napabob
MAW

Post by MAW »

Napabob,

Don't suppose you have an older Spectra around the house as well?

Cheers, Mark
napabob

Bell housing

Post by napabob »

MAW wrote:Napabob,

Don't suppose you have an older Spectra around the house as well?

Cheers, Mark
MAW,

I have a 1975 Spectra 18 (Lake Berryessa, CA - April 2004).

Last edited by napabob on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
napabob
napabob

Spectra 18

Post by napabob »

MAW,

1975 Spectra, 18 feel long
454 Harman marine Chevrolet
Jacuzzi 12WJ jet drive with B impeller
Restored in 2001, was purchased by father in-law new in Burbank, CA.
napabob
MAW

Post by MAW »

Was wondering if this was the same napabob from spectramarine.com . We've got a 1974 20' Spectra with a 468 Gen IV BBC, 6-71 & EFI.

We're looking at a similar project as your Sanger for my middle son right now. Just trying to find an older classic hull in restorable shape to hold a 354 Hemi which now sits in the corner of the shop.

Cheers Mark
napabob

Boats

Post by napabob »

Mark,

I am registered on the Spectra site as napabob also.

There quite a few older boats out there. I opted for something in the middle. There are all wood boats or all fiber glass boats. My model has a fiber glass hull and a mahogany deck.

Will it be a v-drive or a jet drive?

Is your 354 a M45SP-3 series?

http://www.classichemi.com/index1.shtml#Marine
napabob
scottm

Post by scottm »

18' boat w/ a 454? Damn. I want one for an early HEMI swap!
MAW

Post by MAW »

Bob,

I'm MAW on the spectra board as well. Too hard in my advancing years to keep tract of all the usernames and passwords, easier to pick one and use the hell out of it :lol:

I want to stay with an all glass hull. Did a restoration of a glass/mahogany boat a few years ago that was a PITA, never again. Looking for a name brand, '68-'75 or so, 18'-19', Sanger/Cole/Schiada etc.

The 354 for this project is automotive and the plan is to use a 904 or 727 trans less converter.

Good luck on your project, and we may go up your way for one of the central valley Spectra get togethers.

Cheers, Mark
napabob

Boat

Post by napabob »

Mark,

TrWaters makes a transmission adapater for the 354/392 HEMI to the Torqueflite A-727. There is on on eBay at this time, and they do command about two thirds of their actual cost.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/354-392- ... 4486QQrdZ1

I am not sure if Wilcap makes an adapter for the Torqueflite A-904 to the 354. They do have one for the 331 extended block or bellhousing for the 727 and the 904.

http://www.wilcap.com/Hemi.html

I will keep an eye out for you for a project boat.
napabob
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I can't afford those new boats... :D I gotta get the old junk.

My little boat was a 1957 17 foot Hondo with a blown 4.5 inch stroked 392 Chrysler Hemi, all glass. (Try flipping one of these at over 100MPH :o)

My wood boat is a 100% new hand varnished wood, 21 foot 1956 Chris Craft Capri with a 354 stroked to 426 Chrysler Marine Hemi with Hilborn fuel injection. It's all solid phil mahogony except bottom, multi layer kevlar. I have a 30 inch trim tab system installed to keep the front down and keep it flat on plane. It should go 65-70 easily....and should get there real quick........

Because I purchased all used, old stuff, I had enough left to build the 1966 Plymouth 572 KB Hemi 5 speed Dana "tow" car... just gotta figure out how to get the tow ball on with the fibergalss bumper and wheelie bars... :P :P
napabob

Boat Project

Post by napabob »

MAW wrote:Was wondering if this was the same napabob from spectramarine.com . We've got a 1974 20' Spectra with a 468 Gen IV BBC, 6-71 & EFI.

We're looking at a similar project as your Sanger for my middle son right now. Just trying to find an older classic hull in restorable shape to hold a 354 Hemi which now sits in the corner of the shop.

Cheers Mark
Mark,

Here is a project boat that you might be interested in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Ste ... dZViewItem

A free hull:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/zip/244420286.html
napabob
napabob

Post by napabob »

Bailiesdad wrote:I can't afford those new boats... :D I gotta get the old junk.

My little boat was a 1957 17 foot Hondo with a blown 4.5 inch stroked 392 Chrysler Hemi, all glass. (Try flipping one of these at over 100MPH :o)

My wood boat is a 100% new hand varnished wood, 21 foot 1956 Chris Craft Capri with a 354 stroked to 426 Chrysler Marine Hemi with Hilborn fuel injection. It's all solid phil mahogony except bottom, multi layer kevlar. I have a 30 inch trim tab system installed to keep the front down and keep it flat on plane. It should go 65-70 easily....and should get there real quick........

Because I purchased all used, old stuff, I had enough left to build the 1966 Plymouth 572 KB Hemi 5 speed Dana "tow" car... just gotta figure out how to get the tow ball on with the fibergalss bumper and wheelie bars... :P :P
Can you post some images of your boat?
napabob
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

I only have pictures available hosted or uploaded from my PC. This board does not allow that.
MAW

Post by MAW »

Thanks for the link Bob. I gave it a quick bid ($20.00) just to see what the response would be. We'll keep on top of this since it's exactly what we're looking for.

Cheers, Mark
scottm

Post by scottm »

Bailiesdad wrote:I only have pictures available hosted or uploaded from my PC. This board does not allow that.
http://www.imageshack.us/ is great for stuff like this.