Industrial Hemi in a Car

Discussion of the Marine / Industrial Hemis.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scottm

Industrial Hemi in a Car

Post by scottm »

Can an industrial Hemi be adapted to work in a vehicle?
What changes need to be made, or what differences make
using an industrial Hemi in a vehicle impossible? Thanks.

Scott Moseman
TheHemi.com Admin
TrWaters

industrial hemis

Post by TrWaters »

These engines are easier to find than the car motors, and can be used..but..there are a few differences to be aware of.
First, most have a hugh front motor mount/timing cover assembly. Some with reverse rotation cams. The front timing chain cover pattern is the same as the early car 331 motors, and an aftermarket cover is available.
Second, the heads have no front water outlets..these motors took water thru the intake. You will need an aftermarket intake, and plumb the water from each side to a center thermostat housing. Also be aware that the center water outlet from head to intake it larger than that of a car head. Be sure to check that your intake completely covers it (most a/m will). Motor mounts on the block are the same as car, as well as bellhousing.
IndustrialHemiGuy

Post by IndustrialHemiGuy »

Scott, chrysler industrial also included dodge hemis. what model ind. do you have. Some of the ind/marine engines were reverse rotation. I have succesfully installed several ind motors into late 50s pickups and they bolted right in. To use a manual transmission you need to pull the pilot bearing from the rear of the crank and have a bushing machined out of oilite brass to the O.D. of the bearing you removed and with .005"larger I.D. than your trans input shaft pilot. To use an automatic simply use the adapter kit for an early hemi. All of the Ind. motors I have,ALL had the car style water pumps,my truck motor has avery large timing cover with the thermostat in the intake manifold. I also have aearly car motor 53 with the thermostat in the intake. The Ind 56A had the same exhaust manifolds as the 392 2" I.D. , the Ind56 had 2-1/4" (better) The big trucks and 300 letter series had the 2-1/2" I.D. (best cast) manifolds. The ind 56 is a 331. The 56A is a 354. The Ind 56 should have a 1 piece water pump/crossover thermostat housing which is shorter in length than the 2piece 56A . All of the ind blocks that I have, have the front engine mounts (simmilar to 318) which werent used in favor of a U shaped cast iron mount that bolted to the front of the car type tin timing cover. (this U shaped mount worked really good in the late 50s pickups,civ power wagon,and truck). The Ind cam pulls good from idle to 5000 peaking between 1800-2200 , I like these better than production car cams. 354s & 392s used the same 2" intake valves.The331/Ind56 used 1-15/16 intake valves. All(exept the first of the 331s) 331,354,392 had 1-3/4" exhaust valves. most ind.especially propane,or natural gas ind had hard exhaust seats installed into the heads,which are exellent for unleaded gas. Pull your oil pump and check the slot that fits into distributor gear shaft. the slot on the pump should be paralell (not Diamond shaped). A lot of these motors were just taken out of service in the last 10-15 years and had a tremendous amount of hours on them, thus wearing out the oilpump drive. rarely would you find a Ind block with a lot of cylinder wear. But eventually the piston ring groves would wear out. (Car engines were just the opposite).Also before putting the engine into a vehicle check the bearings & mic the crank because on high hour motors the babbit would usually be warn off the rod bearings. Dean