Johm Petrie's Factory Pro-Stock 'Hemi Cuda'????

Discuss the good old days of Hemi racing.
mart

Post by mart »

Wondering if anyone has any information, pics or
details of Canadian, John Petrie's factory-sponsored
Super/Stock & Pro/Stock racing operations of the
late 1960's - early 1970's? I'm particularly interested
in any information or pics of Petrie's '70 (or 71??)
Hemi Cuda Pro-Stocker. Does anyone know if this
car still exists? The reason I ask about this car in
particular, is that I and a buddy briefly (for about
month or so!) "owned" this car as a rolling chassis
back in 1974 or '75. We bought the car in a
screwed-up deal from a crooked speed-shop
operator (now long-gone) in Stoney Creek, Ontario .
The car was pretty much complete, minus the Hemi
engine, still in the Petrie 'red & blue on white' 'Petrie
Racing' paint scheme - with only the Petrie name
crudely painted over with white 'spray-can' paint.
Our plans were plans to put a tunnel-rammed 440 in
it we had and run the car on the street and maybe
bracket race it as well. The deal came undone when
it turned out that the speed-shop owner actually
didn't own the car - that it was really owned by a
former customer with whom he was having a dispute
over a bill with - and that he had illegally seized the
car before "selling" it to us. The last I heard was, that
after the car eventually returned to legitimate owner,
it changed hands a couple of times after that and
first ended up on the street with a 392 hemi in it, and
then later, as a race car again, with a Hilborn injected
small block Chevy engine in it!! Any information, history
or details on this car would be appreciated.
mart
=========================
hemicar1971

Re: Johm Petrie's Factory Pro-Stock 'Hemi Cuda'????

Post by hemicar1971 »

Yes the Cuda still exists but I have not kept track of it over the last 4 years. Most owners of the Cuda have no clue of its Heritage in Drag Racing.The last 3 owners of the Cuda had no clue it was John Petries car since it has had paint changes and other body mods. There are things on the car that can tell me it was Johns.Last time I saw it at the track it had a strong running 340 in it running high 10s low 11s. After coming back from the All Hemi Reunion I started thinking about the car and may go looking for it to purchased.
mart

Post by mart »

hemicar1971 wrote:Yes the Cuda still exists but I have not kept track of it over the last 4 years. Most owners of the Cuda have no clue of its Heritage in Drag Racing.The last 3 owners of the Cuda had no clue it was John Petries car since it has had paint changes and other body mods. There are things on the car that can tell me it was Johns.Last time I saw it at the track it had a strong running 340 in it running high 10s low 11s. After coming back from the All Hemi Reunion I started thinking about the car and may go looking for it to purchased.
------------------------
Let me know if you do track it down and you do consider purchasing it.
I remember a few "oddball" details about the car that may be helpful in
either positively I.D.ing it or in restoring it.

mart
===============================
hemicar1971

Post by hemicar1971 »

Mark, you have put a spark in me and I will pull in a few favors and track this car down. When I do I will either purchase the car and put a Pro Stock style Hemi in it as John had or will contact you and give you all the information so you can purchase the car.John Petrie lived near to me when I was a lot younger from1964-75 and I do remember the car as a teenager,one of my favorites.I had many a change to purchase some of his Vehicles such as his Hemi Dart,the Cuda,and other later A bodies and lots of B bodies from the mid 60 to late 69. I do remember he did have lot of cars over the years. John is the only person I know that was a sponsored Chrysler Racer that represented both Plymouth and Dodge at the same time.The car clinic he put on for Chrysler were a valuable thing for racers in the day.
hemifred

Post by hemifred »

HOME OF THE
"ORIGINAL SOX & MARTIN HEMI DUSTER"
AND
"WORLD'S QUICKEST AND FASTEST ROAD RUNNER"
7.21 @ 193 mph
VISIT MY SITE PROSTOCKHEMI.COM
hemi5

Post by hemi5 »

Hi Hemicar1971, you remember John Petrie having a 68SS Hemi Dart? Got pics? Do you recall whether is was a stick or auto? I own an LO23 that spent the early 80s in Quebec, Canada that several previous owners thought was a Petrie car. Others in the eastern Canada racing community don't remember John having a Hemidart. Any input is appreciated and sorry about going off topic on this thread.
redlinemuscle

Post by redlinemuscle »

What about Petrie's 1970 Hemi Challenger, do you guys have any info on that car,or pics- I know where it is. Still has the original numbers motor with it.
HippyHemi

Post by HippyHemi »

While having coffee with John to-day I mentioned that someone stated that his SS/DA Challenger was still alive,complete with matching numbers.I believe this has sparked his interest. He asked me to find out a price and whereabouts of the car. We have discussed purchasing a car for weekend warrioring in the Pro-modified class for the 2011 season.If anyone in cyberspace can help us locate this,or any of his cars feel free to contact me.
redlinemuscle

Post by redlinemuscle »

you can contact me at redline@on.aibn.com. I can talk to the owner of the Challenger.

Scott Robinson
hemi5

Post by hemi5 »

attn HippyHemi- good to hear John Petrie is still alive and kickin'. Can you ask him if he had an original Hemi Dart since I have this stick L023 that spent time in the 80s in Quebec, Nova Scotia that several previous owners indicated was a Petrie car. It was a big deal when John brought his Supercar Clinics to western Canada, everybody went to them no matter what brand they raced, and thought they were great. It was also very memorable when John raced at our track beating up the Ford factory team that also came out. Anyhow I'd sure like to somehow hook up with John to see if this Hemi Dart was his old car. Thanks and all best