oil tube/windage tray

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

392hemi

oil tube/windage tray

Post by 392hemi »

i am new to the hemi world and i just picked up a 32 ford hot rod with a 58 392 hemi, its a great looking motor and i never had a hemi before. the oil pan was dented and i bought one from hot heads, a rear sump pan. the one i replaced was a center sump so the oil pickup is now in the way of the pan. the tube interfers with the pan seating so i was thinking of replacing the oil pickup tube with one for the rear sump so i can use a rear sump pan, but not seeing the one i need online, any suggestions on who sells the rear oil pickup tube. i can stay with a center oil pan but not having any luck finding that either, not sure why they used this pan.
i also installed a windage tray from hot heads and because of the tube it is toward the front of the motor mounted on the #2 and #3 main caps. will i have any problem with the windage tray more forward than center. is it better if the windage tray is in the center which i can do if i change the oil pickup for a rear sump.
thanks
George

Re: oil tube/windage tray

Post by George »

The 392 had the center sump pan & pick up tube. The 331/354 had rear sump & a swivil type pick up tube that only works on those pumps. You're best off looking on E-Bay for a center sump pan. You'd have to make mods to use the 331 O/P.