New 392 Block Market Viability

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

scottm

New 392 Block Market Viability

Post by scottm »

Does anyone know of any research on the market viability
of selling brand new 392 blocks? Both steel and aluminum.

I know someone who might be able to bring new 392 blocks
into the marketplace. He is curious on demand and perhaps
what people would be willing to pay for them.

If you have any information, please let us know!
TrWaters

392 blocks

Post by TrWaters »

Here are my thoughts. It would have to be under $1000 to be attractive to the general consumer. Anything more than that, and people would look towards the 426 and bigger motors. I highly doubt the cost of R&D would be worth it.
Also, there are still alot of 392 blocks around. along with Donovan blocks.
Just my .02
lucky13

Post by lucky13 »

I know of quite a few racers and street rodders that would be all over the idea of a new 392 block. I know I would be seriously interested. I just got a 354 hemi for a Model A, and I would like to build a Blown 392 for a Front Engine Dragster. I would be happier with a new block, considering the forces being put on it. You wouldn't have to worry about the number of times it was bored, decked, or line bored, or worry about core shift or stress cracks. Definately worth it!

Brian
Boost is like crack. The first hits free, after that it drains your wallet and bank account
Spence40

Post by Spence40 »

There are pros and cons one producing a retro block , as long as there is a supply of cores even as high priced as they have become , people will build them . The price would have to be worthwhile as a direct copy has its shortcomings , weak main webs , thin cylinder walls . Most racers have switched to the $4500 Donovan or the new forged Rodeck $7500 piece . I would say if someone could produce a block with a stronger lower end , heavier walls and an improved oiling system for under $ 1500 , that would fly .
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

Recently I read an article, with photos, of some newly developed hemi heads to fit the current smallblock Mopar blocks. These were developed to use in the nostalgic drag classes. If this is actually the case, there would be little need to retool for early hemi blocks. The fact is, the early hemi and late LA blocks are so close, it would be a better deal to develope heads instead of blocks. Not only that, but the market would be greater for head packages than for retro blocks. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Spence40

Post by Spence40 »

TR you are correct in the statement on retro heads for LA blocks , at the CHRR , I talked to the man himself. It is in the R&D stage right now , rockers and valve train geometries are being worked out , the heads themselves are almost identical to early hemis , 10 bolt pattern , a change in bore centerlines and different pushrod locations . As far as the 392 retro block , we have them in aluminum (Donovan and Rodeck ) , heads by Hot Heads and Mastodon , CRANKS ? This is a big problem for the racers , either spend the big bucks for a billet or take a chance on a core that could cost you a motor .
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

It was probably your post that I read on the other board. :)
Spence40

Retro heads

Post by Spence40 »

TR , I think Phillip Lofton of Early Hemi Parts .com had something posted . He and a guy from Tenn. are working on that project , they are also trying to get a crankshaft deal going . Phillip also has a repop Cragar blower manifold and many other products .
sofa_king

Post by sofa_king »

Well I don't have 100% of the info but I have 90%. There is a company I am sure you guys are aware of that sells a complete 354 OR 392 hemi incuding the block heads etc. it comes with two cool choices also: A regular carbureted engine or a supercharged engine including a 6-71 blower. I just wish I could afford them as the are not cheap. Oh well just thought it was worth a mention. By the way the 10% I don't know is if they are new blocks or old ??

Safe rodding all,
Sofa_king
panic

LA hemi

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bailiesdad

Post by Bailiesdad »

The billet 392 blocks are being sold as water or solid they run 7700.00 The billet 354 pattern with high runner heads are also being sold I got a price of 4200 bare. Both can be used with "stock" parts. One big rod shop is building the first all billet 392 hemi 32 ford roadster, the budget for the project is 150K.
scottm

Post by scottm »

A small machine shop is asking me if anyone would
have the "Dimensional, Design Drawing" for the 392
blocks. They want to bring back a new 392 casting.
Would anyone know where to get this information??
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
m139

Post by m139 »

What you always get in these discussions is alot of views from the extreme ends of the issue and fewer from the middle, for maximum horsepower possible go buy a top fuel 500 inch hemi with a whipple charger and tip the nitro can, for a daily driver that looks good put a chrome kit on your 318 2-bbl, somewhere in the middle lies the truth, and with Mopar guys it it in showing all the other guys how fast we can go with mainly stock parts and how long we can do it for without breaking something and spending alot of money. in this case the 392 has alot going for it but a complete motor would be needed (Especially the heads) On the street built correctly the stock block and crank is MUCH better than ANYTHING else in it's cubic inch class and certiaianly won't be getting it's butt beat leaving that Dairy Queen parking lot anytime soon and will be running after the chevy guy has blown 4 motors trying to keep up, he will spend 5 times the money in a 2 year period at certian power levels with regular use, seen it many times. I am running the same 413 cross-ram motor that my dad drove to school in 1966 it has been in 7 cars and still has the stock pistons! and :-? with many a high speed pass on them! I think the value of a new 392 block would be to resto-guys and street rodders (not so much for hot rodders). sorry for the book I wrote here!
m139binder
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
383Dart

Post by 383Dart »

panic wrote:"the stock block and crank is MUCH better than ANYTHING else in it's cubic inch class"
What does better mean?
Better than what?
Obviously he meant that the block and crank are stronger than lets say oh 396's or 400's or 390's or even our own 383's. I know you know alot panic but why is it necissary to pick apart what others say to make them sound stupid? if he's wrong in that statement then just say for example "well actually an AMC 390's block crank are stronger than a 392 hemi's blah blah blah" Its called constructive criticism. And if u weren't trying to make him sound stupid than i'm sorry cause thats how it came across, but either way its obvious what he meant and you could have skipped right to making a correction to his statement.
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
383Dart

Post by 383Dart »

heres a thought i'll respond when i want too to what want too because i can because this is america
panic

Post by panic »

Last edited by panic on Sat May 08, 2004 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
383Dart

Post by 383Dart »

part time college student, and i work for FMW composites making airplane parts
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »

let's play nice. Thank you.
Early hemi to late sb Mopar trans adapters. Precision billet parts for early hemis.
panic

Post by panic »