Brakes

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

hades

Brakes

Post by hades »

Has anyone had a problem with the brakes on their Ram? I have a 2003 1500 QC 4X4 with 6000 miles and when braking the truck jumps a little. Is this a common problem and will Dodge fix it? Thanks for any help.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Hades, have a look at the topic starting with "Incorrect lug nut torque" and you'll see that you're not alone.

Yes, your local dealership will fix it, and it seems that DC may finally be waking up to this problem. I've already had my truck in to the local dealership, and all they did was resurface the rotors. That was in September or October. The problem has since resurfaced (perhaps the dealership didn't torque the lug nuts properly when they finished) and I've been trying to get back in to that dealership.

When I started talking to them (the dealership) about this problem again, their head service guy managed to find there was a new TSB on this very issue. The TSB says to replace the rotors, brake pads, and calipers. That's why I say that DC is getting the point-- I've just waited for 3 weeks for the calipers to come in. It seems that DC's supplier is having trouble keeping up with demand, so the stock calipers are a little hard to come by.

I've got an appointment on Monday to get the work done.
kbuicker

Post by kbuicker »

This is also well known problem in that the rotors are cheap, Dodge cut corners, and didn't think the 20inch rims would change anything, I think you ask any owner, they will say their brakes shake. I too had my refaced at 11k miles.. they are shaking again at 21k. No wonder the warranty only covers brakes under 12k miles. ridiculous.
Kevin
hades

Post by hades »

Thanks for the advice, I brought the truck to the dealer and they said there were "updated" pads and rotors for the truck and they replaced them the same day. I just hope they weren't blowing smoke up my butt.
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

Here's the TSB contents, if anyone's interested. Kind of a pain-in-the-butt procedure for putting the wheels back on. Guess I won't be doing any of my own tire rotations!

http://www.dodgeram.info/tsb/2003/05-008-03.htm
giddie

Same here

Post by giddie »

My brakes have been shakey for some time, I'm glad you mentioned the 12K limit on the brakes. I've got 11K and will be taking it in this saturday to see what can be done. When more people have to start paying for the service I'm sure pressure for a recall will grow heavy on Dodge.

jason
Jason O'Brien
2003 Black Quad-Cab 1500 Hemi*
http://www.giddie.com
HappyKillMore

Post by HappyKillMore »

I don't think a recall is going to solve this problem, unless they decide to put a much stronger rotor on place of these weak ones. Look at the TSB. The procedure for putting the tires back on calls for using a dial gage to check runout on the rotor after the lug nuts are torqued down on the wheel! Then if the runout is too high (>0.02"), you're supposed to take the wheel off again, put it back on one lug rotated, and check for runout again! That tells me that DC knows full well how weak these rotors are. That also tells me that if I need to take wheels off for any reason, I'd better make sure the studs go through the same holes when I put the wheels back on.

They may get around to a recall eventually anyway-- they seem to be having difficulty keeping the parts warehouses stocked with calipers. That means that they're replacing a lot of them, and I'd bet the vast majority of those are warranty repairs. If you have customers bring the vehicles in multiple times, like I have, then they're going to get tired of paying for these repairs.
giddie

Brakes Petition

Post by giddie »

I see there is a petition to release the power of the Hemi, I think one may need to be initiated for the rotors of our trucks. The rotor problem is going to cost many people lots of money in the future and who knows if it can turn into a dangerous defect. The front calipers are the primary stopping power of those trucks and hearing that they are being replaced in great numbers doesn't make me too comfortable!

Maybe somebody here knows (I sure don't) how to generate a professional petition that can be presented to Daimler Chrysler. Another action we should take is placing our complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/). I know that the NHTSA was a big reason I got a refund on repairs for a fuel pump on my ford focus.

In fact I'm filing my complaint tonight.

jason
Jason O'Brien
2003 Black Quad-Cab 1500 Hemi*
http://www.giddie.com
ndbieri

brakes

Post by ndbieri »

I just took my 2003 DR in for rotor repair. There is a TB out on them. They will resurface the rotars and replace the calipers and the Pads. So far solved the problem
bswink

Brakes

Post by bswink »

I have a '03 1500 Hemi Ram with 20 inch wheels and I started experiencing braking problems after about 2000 miles.The symptoms were when braking it would pull hard to the right,shimmy and when I took my hands off the steering wheel,the steering wheel would rotate right and left(back and forth).I also noticed the the steering wheel is not level when sighting with the instrument panel.That was the start,I now have 13,000 miles and 3 sets of rotors,one set of calipers,one set of brake pads and even new brake lines have been installed and I'm calling for an appointment this morning for the forth(4) set of rotors to be installed.Although it's over 12000 miles,the dealer said since I've had the on going problem they will take care of it under the warranty,which they should do! I always wonder if the 20" wheels have anything to do with the rotor problem.
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

I you dont get those rotors fixed before 12000 miles they wont cover it under warranty i am having a hell of a time getting them to replace mine! If there is anyone that wants to help out this problem for anyone over 12000 miles call Motor Vehicle out of Washington DC and file a complaint the more complaints the better we can turn this problem into a recall!
fast5800pdhemi

Post by fast5800pdhemi »

If you want to file a complaint just call motor vehicle at 1-888-327-4236 and file a complaint. It doesnt take real long and in a week or so they will send you complaint it the mail you have to verify that everything in there is correct and send it back to confirm. It isnt real hard and I would greatly appreciate it since i cant get my brakes fixed until something drastic happens thats makes my dealership fix my truck! thanks!
bswink

Post by bswink »

I took my truck in wednesday for the fourth time.All they did this time was machine the rotors.To help everybody out I did file a complaint with the NHTSA.I have contacted Daimler Chrysler which they were no help at all.If anyone knows of any other contacts that need to be notified please post the information.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/

800.992.1997 Daimler Chrysler Customer Assistance