ANYONE W/04 HEMI W/OUT RESONATOR

Discussion of the 5.7L-6.1L-6.4L HEMIs.

Moderator: scottm

FLYINHEMI

ANYONE W/04 HEMI W/OUT RESONATOR

Post by FLYINHEMI »

is anyone running a 04 hemi with the stock muffler with the resonator removed and if so a couple of questions,how much louder is it at idle,at 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and when you open it up?i had an aftermarket muffler put on and removed the resonator and it sounds ok,i was looking at the aftermarket muffler and it is about 1/2 the size of the stock muffler and was wondering if i put the stock muffler back on will it increase the flow being twice the size of the aftermarket muffler and will it still sound ok?i am going to leave the resonator off.just fyi the aftermarket muffler is from a company called JONES,never heard of them myself but the guy at the muffler shop said it sounds like what i was looking for.i know it wont sound too loud with the stock muffler but will it sound better than running with the resonator?thanks
rami

Post by rami »

I think the guy at the shop that installed it for you also autographed your muffler with his name. :lol:
2004 QC Sport, 20's, 3:92, Leather, Rhino Spray In Liner, Snugtop Snuglid, Add on XM radio tuner!
FLYINHEMI

Post by FLYINHEMI »

rami wrote:I think the guy at the shop that installed it for you also autographed your muffler with his name. :lol:
thats what i thought but they are listed on the internet and for $45 i thought i'd give it a shot http://store.dragracing.com/sto/product ... &catid=139
HEMI911

Post by HEMI911 »

I do. I cut off all the exhaust from the stock muffler to the tailpipe and put on a flowmaster muffler. I dumped the pipe straight down after the new muffler and it sounds okay. Coolest part...no pipes on my truck.
HemiTrkn

Resonator

Post by HemiTrkn »

This may sound stupid, but where is the resonator, and what has to be done to take it off.
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 Hemi
HEMI911

Post by HEMI911 »

The resonator is toward the end of your exhaust and it looks like a little muffler. To take it off is easy...cut it off.
mopartodd

Post by mopartodd »

Removing the resonator really didn't make much of difference.
04hemi2500

Post by 04hemi2500 »

i have an '04 3/4 ton hemi and have looked but havent seen a resonator. is this just on the 1500's or do the 2500's have one too? thanks
'04 black hemi quad cab slt 3/4 ton short box
New04HEMIOwner

Post by New04HEMIOwner »

You don't even have to cut it. Just un-clamp it at the muffler, and put a 3" turndown. That's what I did, and it gives it a much lower rumble, but not much louder (and no pipes sticking out)
KGHemi

Post by KGHemi »

Has anybody cut off the reson. and then clamped a piece of pipe from the muffler out the side behind the read tire like it is stock?
I still like this look. Is there a part# from Dodge for the pipe? If I got a Flowmaster or other aftermarket muffler, can I get a kit that replaces the muffer on back?
TopBanana

Post by TopBanana »

I cut mine off, and left the stock muffler on for now. It definitely gives you a LITTLE bit more sound, but not much. It makes it sounds more like the stock 03's, but is still quieter due to having 2 Cat's, not just one. As a cheap interim exhaust mod until you decide on which aftermarket system to use, it's worth doing. I took the easy route and paid a muffler shop ~$50 to cut it out and weld in a piece of pipe.
bighorn345

04 hemi without exhaust resonator

Post by bighorn345 »

The resonator on the 04 is evil. I couldn't wait to remove mine. I owned an 03 Hemi for seven months and 8,300 miles until someone else decided that they wanted it more than me and took it from my apartment complex. Anyway I loved the way the 03 exhaust sounded and would turn the radio off just to listen to it. When I bought the 04, it was the first thing I noticed, that it didn't sound anything like the 03. It's not that its loud without the resonator, it just sounds a lot better. This is what I did, just took the exhaust off and put a Borla catback on.

I also took the resonator off the top of the engine from the intake and put a k&n Series 77 intake on. Now, my intake is as loud as the outake. It's brings a smile to my face and goosebumps on my arms :D
pdt

Post by pdt »

04hemi2500 wrote:i have an '04 3/4 ton hemi and have looked but havent seen a resonator. is this just on the 1500's or do the 2500's have one too? thanks
It's only on the 1500's...