How to ID a 354

Discussion of the 331-354-392 HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

jedimaster

How to ID a 354

Post by jedimaster »

I may be buying a 354 Hemi off of a guy and he doesn't know what model number it is, where can I tell him to look so I can figure out what 354 this is? btw this will be going into my '67 valiant 2 door. Yes I know lots of fabrication is ahead of me but this is a long term project and I really really want this car to be hemi powered. Also what should I be lookig to pay for this engine? supposedly it was runnning when it was pulled many years back so I am gueeing it'll need some minor rebuilding(rings etc) its complete to the trans brake.
centerline

Post by centerline »

Look on the top of the block just behind the water pump and in front of the valley cover near the passengers side. A set of numbers and letters will be stamped there that will allow you to positivly identify what year and cubic inch it is.

Once you have the code go to my web site below and you'll be able to look up the answer.
jedimaster

Post by jedimaster »

He says its out of a new yorker, and its a single 4 barrel.
jedimaster

Post by jedimaster »

Ok He is sure its out of a 56 New Yorker, Single Barrel, He is checking the numbers today, What was different between the '56 year model 354's It looks like to me that Compression and intakes are different between the different 56 models. Assuming this is the Lower output Firepower or Imperial engine what is the actual physical difference, Cam, Pistions, Intake etc. Also how hard is it to find a basic rebuild kit for these, Gaskets, pistons, cams, Bolts etc...
centerline

Post by centerline »

All auto versions of the '56 354 had a stock compression ratio of 9:1. And none had a single barrel carburetor. Most came equipped with a 2 bbl. or 4bbl. The 300 series cars had the dual 4 bbl. manifold.

For rebuild and high performance replacement parts check PowerPlay and Hot Hemi Heads at the following link: http://www.powerplayhemi.com
TrWaters

Post by TrWaters »