roller camshaft

Discussion of the 426 Street / Strip HEMIs.

Moderators: scottm, TrWaters, 392heminut

aufles.mopar

roller camshaft

Post by aufles.mopar »

hello
i have ordered a crane hydraulick roller camshaft for my new 528 hemi engine since my original camshaft broke down during first time start.
now somebody avoid me to do this because of that i have to grind too much in the pushrod holes.is it anyone who know if i could use solid roller lifters on the new roller camshaft that i bought from crane.or do i have to bay an another camshaft.i dont wanted to have more than 0.550 lift and it is not many of the solid roller camshaft that is below that.
thanks runar
70 challenger rt/se 528 hemi 5tr keisler
70 challenger rt convertible
33 plymouth rod prosjekt
Goran

Re: roller camshaft

Post by Goran »

aufles.mopar wrote:hello
i have ordered a crane hydraulick roller camshaft for my new 528 hemi engine since my original camshaft broke down during first time start.
now somebody avoid me to do this because of that i have to grind too much in the pushrod holes.is it anyone who know if i could use solid roller lifters on the new roller camshaft that i bought from crane.or do i have to bay an another camshaft.i dont wanted to have more than 0.550 lift and it is not many of the solid roller camshaft that is below that.
thanks runar
A mecanical roller needs some regular attention for roller damage. Hydarulic lifter is softer on the roller. I have a mecanical roller myself and over 20000 miles 3 rollers has showen damages and has been replaced. I regular takes the lifter out of the engine every 5000 miles ,
checking for the bearing to be smoth. Or else a failure will destruct the engine in high revs. Ok, I have some more lift, but I shouldnt depend on a lower lift to be safe.
Goran
I am a 69 years old sportscar freak living in Sweden with a Hemi equipped Pantera.
john

Post by john »

Hydraulic & mechanical roller cams have different ramp rates so you simply cannot replace one roller type with another. You need to make sure the cam is compatible with the appropriate lifter.